MHF US Northwest > Hunting Wyoming
ethics thread
(1/4) > >>
LT:
     I decided to start this thread so we (myself included) could vent a bit about unethical acts we have seen/will see during our hunt. What sparked it in my mind was an article I just read in Wyoming Wildlife, titled "Face of the Hunter". Therein mentioned was a bumper-sticker on a hunter's pickup which read, "Happiness is a warm gutpile".
     The wording of the sticker troubled me and I had to think about it for a few minutes to determine what it was about the slogan. It reaches deep into me and cattle-prods something I'm very particular and touchy about...the dignity of the animal. Reducing the kill to that...detracts from the sport of preparation, stalking and a clean kill. Notice I didn't say "harvest". For me, to each their own here, I face the reality that I have just taken the life of a big game animal. While the term, harvest, is appropriate in general to game managament, I prefer to face what I have done on my way to filling the freezer. I didn't harvest it...I killed it.
      Yes, packing my critter out of the woods is a very satisying experience, but not because I nonchalantly left it's innards steaming in the forest.  :)
                                                         ICENSNOWMNSTR bow-stalking
Mooter:
I recently was watching a Whitetail hunting show on VS's when a debate came to my attention.  They were talking about the pros and cons of a "Big Buck Contest".  Are we as hunters going to draw the public eye to see us as "Horn Hunters".  I love being in nature and see the creatures that the good Lord bless my eyes to see.  I will strive even to find bigger animals not so much as to have a bigger rack on my wall but to harvest more meat to feed my family.  The idea of a "Big Buck Contest" would just give anti-hunting organizations more fuel for there quest to end my favorite past time and my source of meat for my families table.  My goal when I set out into the field to harvest a animal is strictly meat and game management.  Us as hunters need to not give the public a bloody cruel image of the "Rambo Hunter" and show the positive and ethical ways that we were all brought up with.
adkRoy:
Some places by me have switched from big buck contest to heaviest deer. They go by field dressed weight. That way you can enter buck or doe.
Mooter:
Oh Richard :o
BoneHead:
Now i'm no biologist but that looks like it hurts. Talk about a bad case of blue balls
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version