Author Topic: Scope for muzzleloader  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
Scope for muzzleloader
« on: Dec 09, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
I have always run a scope on my .50 cal. I am only allowed to use muzzleloader or shotgun in my zone and trust the muzzleloader at distance much more than my 12 gauge slug. After analysis of my last 2 season and seeing that I have 3 clean misses and one bad hit with my preferred gun I started looking into why. Seems as though my scope may be the culprit. Mount is stable and tight, but after every shot the scope is off in a different manner than the shot before. Currently have a Simmons scope on this gun and cleanly took 4 deer over 4 years with never having to touch an adjustment. I am looking for a little feedback on what type/brand others are running and what holds up well to the abuse a .50 cal gives.
Thanks all!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Scope for muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
Simmons explains it. Throw a Leupold on there and never look back

Orrrr find a Nikon in-line XR in closeout since Nikon is discontinuing scopes. Leupold just gather way more light and has a better FOV
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
I have a luepold on a .375 h&h mag that I will never use..... The gun, not the scope that is. Was thinking about that earlier just wasn't sure if they were robust enough to take the shock the muzzleloader gives

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »
A Muzzleloader is child’s play compared to that .375 in the recoil dept. lol! Throw the Leupold on the Muzzleloader and call it good.

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:56:09 PM »
I was thinking that as I was writing that.... Probably the reason I have not fired that gun.... Anyone going on a safari want to buy?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
I’ve shot a few, they didn’t feel any different than my 12 gauges with 3” 385 grain slugs or 3.5” 2oz. Turkey loads

A lot of it depends on the guns weight and fit though. The one I most recently shot was a what i thought was a heavy model 70 and it wasn’t bad.

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2019, 07:33:48 PM »
This is a rem. 700 limited issue in '96. I have not shot it because the gun has never been fired since the day it was purchased... The only thing that scares me is the price tag on the box of ammo... Unfortunately I just looked and even though it's a luepold, definitely not for a muzzleloader... Straight magnification... Old school luepold came on the gun

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »
A gun is only as good as it's optics.
I think it's clear that Leupold is a spectacular scope.
But to be honest I run Nikon's on just about every hunting gun I own. Love em.
I feel they gather tons of light just like the Leupold. Clear, crisp and always hold true with recoil.
Good luck getting er dialed in. It sucks to go out in the woods and have doubt in your weapon.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2019, 04:51:55 AM »
Did you hear Nikon was all done with scopes now Jason? Too bad. I run all Leupold but do have a Nikon Slughunter on my slug gun and it would be myvsecind brand choice. I hate the BDC reticles and the narrower FOV but the glass was solid.

Bushnell is junk until you get into the Elite series. Guys are doing well with vortex

I can’t afford Swarovski or Zeiss etc lol

I think you have to spend at least 2 bills on a scope to have it be reliable. I just got a new vx- 3i 4.5-14 for a .300 short I picked up Incase I pull a moose tag in one of the big cuts and I also grabbed a vxr 3x9 for one of my whelens. Both gorgeous. Leupold is such a good product.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2019, 05:00:01 AM »
Just stay away from the Simmons Tasco etc Junk it can ruin seasons.

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
agreed simmons is a pellet gun scope or 22 Leopold is a fantastic scope and can be bought on a budget. I have a Leopold on my 308 and just swapped over a redfield from a 300 weatherby mag to my 30-06 best thing i did.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
I bought a Vortex 3-9 lifetime guerentee this fall for my 700 rem and realyy like it,very clear,,I have a new Nikon also that is very clear and right on,,,many people spend 100's of dollars for a rifle and 30 bucks for a scope,,200 is a fare price for a scope.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »
Did you hear Nikon was all done with scopes now Jason? Too bad. I run all Leupold but do have a Nikon Slughunter on my slug gun and it would be myvsecind brand choice. I hate the BDC reticles and the narrower FOV but the glass was solid.

Bushnell is junk until you get into the Elite series. Guys are doing well with vortex

I can’t afford Swarovski or Zeiss etc lol

I think you have to spend at least 2 bills on a scope to have it be reliable. I just got a new vx- 3i 4.5-14 for a .300 short I picked up Incase I pull a moose tag in one of the big cuts and I also grabbed a vxr 3x9 for one of my whelens. Both gorgeous. Leupold is such a good product.
No I hadn't heard that Frank. Too bad.
I'm good though, got good optics on all my steel right now. If I buy any more guns I'd consider another Leupold or a Vortex. Never used one, but I do hear great things about the vortex.
I agree you have to spend about 2 bills for anything thats going to last.
Why pay all that money for a gun and cheap out with a Simmons or tasco or something like that. Like I said, a gun is only as good as it's optics.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
Absolutely!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:35:35 PM »
The gun the Simmons was on I only paid $149 for new, granted the same gun is now $350. I was also in my early 20's and the $75 scope was a lot for me at the time. All in I guess 15 years out of a cheap scope I would say I got my money out of it but now it's costing me dearly. I have like the eye relief and how bright it was as well as felt it was pretty clear all around.... Guess I will be amazed bu a new one when I make my pick!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal