Author Topic: Redemption Doe Down  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
Redemption Doe Down
« on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:08:25 AM »
Been a season of ups and downs that' for sure. Missed two small bucks in one day during archery season, both clean misses due to branch deflections. One was my own fault for not cutting more lanes behind the tree. Other one was right at last light could barely make out the pins. In hind sight, probably should have not shot but thankful they were both clean misses.

Fast forward a month later to riffle season shot a small buck at about 30 yards quartering away with the '06 (same tree stand I missed a buck from). Had ton of blood leaking out of both sides for the first 300 yards then it petered out. Guy I know up the street is a licensed dog tracker. Called him in and we picked up the track where I left off and followed him another 400 yards to a swamp edge and caught up to him. We could hear him moving through the brush and it sounded like he was struggling so we backed out and figured he'd probably bed down and we'd find him dead in the morning. Headed back in at first light and followed him for another 400 yards or so with next to nothing for blood and had to accept that the deer was very much alive. Only thing I can think is I hit him low in the sternum.

Decided the last morning I'd go back to that same stand. When I was putting my harness on reached in the pocked and found that spent casing from the buck I shot. I figured it was a sign that I was going to get some redemption or that stand had a hex on it. At about 830 caught movement from behind the tree and picked out a doe and a skipper. Then another doe and a skipper, and another behind that one. They were feeding there way towards me and kept hoping at least one of the 5 deer i was looking at would come through. Had a mature doe headed towards me. Had to draw back 3 different times as she kept stopping to feed. She had closed the distance to about 10 yards and was hiding behind a large tree. She took a couple more steps and stepped into an opening and I let it fly. She made it about 70 yards to the top of the hill and kicked it. First deer I've shot with the rage hybrid and was pretty impressed with the blood trail it left. Not sure on the weight since tagging station quit weighing deer but I'd put her at 110-115 range. Pretty pumped to put one the ground on the last day and avoid tag soup for a second straight season!

I"m a little sad it's over but it was a great season. I covered a ton of new ground and I'm already planning for next year!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Redemption Doe Down
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:11:57 AM »
It ain’t over, til it’s over! Congrats
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:10:02 AM »
Way to get it done. Congratulations...
Tomorrow is our last day of the season.
Now were in late season bow/crossbow , muzzleloader the past 9 days and tomorrow its over..
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2019, 07:14:50 AM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »
Nicely done ADrock! I tried to sit yesterday, but it was just too damn windy were I am at. Congrats on your persistence and reward!

Offline bikrsrule

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:59:31 PM »
Congrats at keeping at it Adrock..it was a tough season for many from what I have heard, me included. Failed to fill my zone L tag, first time in 4 yrs..

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:47:09 PM »
Oddly enough, years that are “tough” or a low kill year are all my personal best years numbers and quality wise

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:59:39 PM »
Awesome. Way to put em down the last day!
Another season in the books

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2019, 09:05:50 AM »
Thanks. I happened to be in a lower lying area. It was still a bit windy but I didn't realize how windy it was until I got out in the open by the road! Probably explains why I saw 5 of them hanging out together. It was the biggest group I had seen yet. Almost done butchering, on to the grinding and sausage making tonight.

Any of you guys that do your own grind ever try cutting in beef fat for burger? I've always used pork fat but was thinking about messing around with some beef fat for burgers.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2019, 03:19:33 PM »
Both are completely fine, I use pork though being more mild it doesn’t overtake the venison taste and just make it taste like a Regular Beef dish. Both are fine 

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »
I actually prefer beef fat over pork. Pork fat has to render longer (lard) where as the beef fat (tallow) renders faster. If you want one over the other, you can start with that. We make a ton of burgers and meat balls so the beef fat keeps them juicy while cooking over high heat. For sausage and the related, pork fat is the way to go. I like to add about 10-15% depending on how nice the fat is.

Aquassasin is right, the beef fat will make the venison taste more like beef which is one reason my wife likes that over my dry aged venison steaks.

This is venison kielbasa I made last week.

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2019, 03:43:27 PM by SHaRPS »
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »
Looks amazing!

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2019, 05:52:56 AM »
Those do look great! I did up a few packages with the beef fat to test out. I portioned out and froze a bunch and I'll do some grind as needed to play around with some ratios. Packed away my hunting gear this weekend and the post hunting season blues set in. On to ice fishing and ski season I guess.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2019, 07:56:44 AM »
Nice doe! Congrats

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:28:18 AM »
Congrats on the redemption!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal