Author Topic: What's your favored shell?  (Read 4305 times)

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
What's your favored shell?
« on: Aug 22, 2004, 11:12:48 AM »
Since we can't use lead, I've been using steel shot. Now with all the alternatives ( and usually expensive), What is everybody using?

I'm thinking of switching to Hevi-shot, but have heard good things about the others as well.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Coldfeet

• Nubbie
Re: What's your favored shell?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2004, 02:37:00 PM »
LEAD
But sense we can't use it anymore Ive have used steel. I bought a couple cases of Actives and used them with a lot of luck. But now they have dwindled down to a couple boxes and its back to the drawing board. The next move will be to try everything that is out their untill I find one that works for my type of hunting. Bismuth or Tungston shot has me interested and at times the heaver the better. I guess buying everything out their till I find one is the only way to go. I am curious how the tungston will be on abuseing the barrels if they scratch because of the hardness of the tungston or if you have to use a more open choke because the shot will not deform like others. Anyone else have any input to this.
Cold Feet

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2004, 03:51:32 PM »
From all the industry propaganda I've read and what the sales reps say, Tungston is not really harder or more abrasive than steel. It has a greater specific gravity and is heaver than steel.

I haven't seen any  barrels come across the bench that were damaged by the switch from steel.

For what it's worth :-\
RG

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2004, 10:27:57 PM »
Ive had good results with bismuth.
Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:25:45 AM »
My favorite is the empty shell case on the ground and me walking out to do a retreive.   ;D ;D  I love the hitting power of "Hevi-shot", but to be fair I have yet to try the Bismuth so I cannot comment on them.

Steve

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2004, 09:32:38 AM »
I have had good luck with Federal Steel in BBB and T shot for geese.  I shoot both out of a mod. choke with good patterns.  This year I have some Hevi-shot I'm going to try and will report on the results.  It had better be a big advantage over steel for the cost difference. :o

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2004, 01:20:56 PM »
I always use steel, usually Federal Premium (very good) but I've also used Remington (poor) and Winchester Super X (good).  My brother has tried the Bismuth and the Tungston but he hasn't done any better than I have, of course know matter what we are shooting we almost never take shots longer than about 30 yards.  That's just the way we were taught.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2004, 07:57:38 AM »
For Geese and Ducks in steel I prefer Kent Faststeel. For steel it seems to be the best. It is the most cost effective at this time as well.

The best hands down is Hevi-Shot. I have shot all variations of lead alternatives and would place them in this order

Best - Hevi-Shot
          Bismuth
          Tungsten
          Steel

Jon

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2004, 03:17:36 PM »
Thanks Jon and everyone else.
I think I will try them in the order Jon suggested.
Gonna have lots of time to experiment this year. I plan on doubling my waterfowl time. My son turned 12 and is looking forward to lots of action!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal