Author Topic: Hang on tree stands  (Read 2303 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
Hang on tree stands
« on: Aug 08, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
New member, long time ghost reader. Progressing through life from Ice Shanty to MFF and now to here. Can't wait until we graduate from a topic on MFF to a full blown My Veggie Garden blog...

I am considering purchasing several hang on tree stand for 2 pieces of property. I have only used climber stands in the past. Anyone willing to share personal preference on how to access the stands once they are hung? Treesteps verses stick climber?

The two parcels are privately owned, so there are no issues with leaving the stand or damaging trees.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
Re: Hang on tree stands
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
Welcome aboard. Ive always use tree pegs mainly because of price. Be careful if you have mud on your boots going up they are slick.  Biggest thing i look for in a hang on is a big platform. Gorilla use to make one I bought a bunch of just because of the platform
icefishinman88 on the shanty

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
Welcome aboard. Ive always use tree pegs mainly because of price. Be careful if you have mud on your boots going up they are slick.  Biggest thing i look for in a hang on is a big platform. Gorilla use to make one I bought a bunch of just because of the platform

Thanks for the info. I would have never considered the risk of muddy boots. Valuable to say the least

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »
Ive been using them forever with no problems except when I get in a hurry. As long as you put in enough pegs so your not over stretching you'll be fine. There are also some great light weight ladder stands that are in the same price range as portable hang ones. Especially if your considering leaving them there
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 10:18:20 AM by buckblaster »
icefishinman88 on the shanty

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
Funny, i was just looking at some ladder stands at Dick's. They have some reasonably priced, plus are running a promotion $20 off a purchase of $100 or more. I was thinking about the field and stream deluxe, $79.00 each before the $20 off

Offline gamefisher

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2017, 06:10:08 AM »
If you decide to go the ladder stand route, consider the double stand as well, not much weight or money and you will appreciate the extra room and comfort it affords. 

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
Gamefisher is right about the double ladder stand, lots more room for a little more weight, especially if you leave it out there. I don't mind the stick ladders, not too bulky to carry. Still nothing as easy to get into like a ladder stand. If you go the hang on route, don't place your stand above your last ladder rung, in other words, when you step off your ladder, make sure you are stepping down onto your platform. Also, a climber can be used as a hang on if so desired, I do that often.

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
Gamefisher is right about the double ladder stand, lots more room for a little more weight, especially if you leave it out there. I don't mind the stick ladders, not too bulky to carry. Still nothing as easy to get into like a ladder stand. If you go the hang on route, don't place your stand above your last ladder rung, in other words, when you step off your ladder, make sure you are stepping down onto your platform. Also, a climber can be used as a hang on if so desired, I do that often.

good to know, thanks for the tips!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal