Author Topic: MMM elk  (Read 2230 times)

Offline appleye

• Forked
MMM elk
« on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

Well after a long summer of sitting at home healing from shoulder surgery and not being able to draw my bow I finally got to go hunting. I didn't draw any tags and picked up a leftover cow elk tag close to home. I hunted opening day and saw one elk on public ground. i had permission of some private ground but was asked to wait until Monday. At first light the wife and I headed on to the ranch and were greted but a great sunrise. No elk were seen. We talked with a few hunters and no one was seeing much. I decided to do a little scouting. I found a large draw that had some fresh tacks. The wife had to go home so I ran her home had a quick lunch then back out. I headed back into the draw. Shortly after walking in three cows get up and head to the top of the draw. I waited then shot the lead cow. She ran to the top of the draw and I was thinking, "Yes!" Then she like jumped in the air, lands on her back and slides to the bottom in the cedar jungle. Crap! I took a quick photo then got to work. Ended up sawing my way through the cedars with a leatherman saw, then down hill most of the way to the truck. I did have to split the elk in half to get her out. She was a very large, dry cow. Should be great eats and a great spirit raiser!

Offline walleymaster96

• 6 Pointer
Re: MMM elk
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
nice elk and sounds like you had fun

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
Ended up sawing my way through the cedars with a leatherman saw,

Congrats!!!!!!! You go elk hunting without a good bone saw? Whats up with that?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
Way to get it done...........     Congratulations.........
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »
Congrats.

Offline maaco321.

• 6 Pointer
  • Take a kid hunting
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
Bone saws are old fashioned anymore! Boning out animals is the only way to go!

Offline POk3s

• 6 Pointer
  • Spike Killer!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
awesome job appleye!!! I may still go out and buy an additional cow tag. Never killed two elk in one year before but I almost feel guilty killing two elk! All my friends are bugging me about elk meat and I've only got enough for me and my dad!
Trent Williams

Offline appleye

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
The saw was on the atv and the ranch doesn't allow atv's. Was the first thing I thought of while sawing with the leatherman. Where that dang thing.]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal