Author Topic: Do does taste better??  (Read 29593 times)

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
Do does taste better??
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
I have heard this many times from many people.

I stopped hunting when i got out of college, got married, had little kids etc and picked it back up when i really got into bowhunting five or six years ago. Two years ago i shot a small buck for my first deer in twenty plus years and last year i got a small buck with the bow and an eight point with the rifle.

This year i got two does with the bow.

Well i just tried a steak from the doe and i swear it tastes much better ..... it is literally from the same set of woods although there were tons of acorns last year and not this year so they are eating at least a little differently. I had a steak from at my buddy from college's place from his doe and it was great too.

What do you guys think??

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
Re: Do does taste better??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
I believe a young doe is better but I have had a couple big old ones that was not so great and actually seem to smell different when cooking! :-\

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
I have shot a ton of deer from 80 lb. does early season all the way up to 192 lb. bucks full rut and they all taste the same to me however for obvious reasons the big boys are tougher. Taste the same just gotta chew more ;D just my opinion.........
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
I have shot a ton of deer from 80 lb. does early season all the way up to 192 lb. bucks full rut and they all taste the same to me however for obvious reasons the big boys are tougher. Taste the same just gotta chew more ;D just my opinion.........
Funny you say that about the toughness. lol I was just thinking about the most tender deer i ever ate. A 247lbs buck I shot with a bow in the middle of october! Even at almost twenty years ago i still havent forgot how good eating he was! :) :)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »
I don't doubt it, their are just so many variables to help that, hang time, temps, habitat, food, I could go on but you get the idea. These were just all from pretty much the same places with same hangtimes.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
I find hangtime to make the biggest difference! When weather permiting we always let deer hang at least a week or two! When cold or frozen it dont hurt them at all and make for some great meat! ;)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
I know you havent lived till you have a born and raised corn/soybean eater from MD. Melts in your mouth dont care how old they are. Mountain deer on the other hand not so much.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »
I don't hang mine any longer than it takes me to butcher regardless of temps. It's easier to age a piece at a time in the fridge imo, but I rarely do. I never had a deer that didn't taste good, but I butcher my own and think it makes the biggest difference.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
Mine hung in the cooler at the butchers for a while because they were all backed up doing turkeys for thanksgiving....  one was probably a little over two weeks and the other a week ..... they keep it at just the right temp.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »
That's nice if you have a controlled cooler for them. Would have been real nice to have this year.

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »
I find hangtime to make the biggest difference! When weather permiting we always let deer hang at least a week or two! When cold or frozen it dont hurt them at all and make for some great meat! ;)

Agreed! They taste better and are much more tender if they can hang for a week or so. One exception is the ten point on the wall above my computer. He was a nasty, stinking buck and all the hang time in the world wouldn't have helped. I ate him anyway though. ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2011, 08:03:08 AM by stillhunter »

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
That's nice if you have a controlled cooler for them. Would have been real nice to have this year.

I've gotta agree with that too stka, I had to cut up my bow buck the day after he was killed this year.

Bob

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:01:29 AM »
I never let mine hang..   I thaw the meat out in the fridge for 5 or 6 days and its always been real good......
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:05:12 AM »
I've gotta agree with that too stka, I had to cut up my bow buck the day after he was killed this year.

Bob

both of the does i shot were taken during really warm weather ..... i had them dressed and to the butcher within an hour or two of the recovery

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »
Everybody does things different. As long as we're all hunting and enjoying our venison, It's all good! ;)

Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal