Author Topic: "Give me" shots  (Read 3386 times)

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
"Give me" shots
« on: Nov 04, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »
Anyone ever have a shot that was just too easy?
I had one three years ago, my father inlaw had filled his tag and was starting to party hunt, the deal was that he could fill my tag if it was a "good buck". When we were pushing a quarter section I heard him shoot, so when I came out I asked him "how big?" he says "well.. come have a look" so we walk over to the buck. He shoot a nice 4x4 buck not too bad, so as we're looking this buck over he says "well I guess I should gut this deer so we can drag him out", as we're talking there is some noise in front of us, we look up and there is a 3x3 walking right toward us, hes about 20yards away. Well, I can't just let my father inlaw fill my tag, so I lift my gun and shoot this buck, he runs about 40yards and drops. That one was just too easy.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: "Give me" shots
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:08:03 AM »
I don't understand, if he shot a buck on your tag (not legal here in NY) what tag did you use on the second buck? I don't believe in easy shots for me, it's always the ones that should be easy that I manage to mess up. I've missed a few deer with my bow at 20 yards or less for many different reasons. I even managed to miss the same doe three times with a 3006 at 50-60 yards.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »
I don't understand, if he shot a buck on your tag (not legal here in NY) what tag did you use on the second buck?

It is legal to party hunt here in Manitoba. He used his brothers tag if I remember correctly. There was one year where I shot three deer and two were on his tags.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2009, 05:41:27 PM »
O.K. I was just curious. I know it's legal to use other peoples tags in some places.

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
Good luck on this site, it seems everybody is a DEC officer. I hear ya on easy shots however, I've had my share, but I've also had the impossible ones :(
Iceshanty= AirManCam

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was pressed for time that day and told my brother that "I need one of those days where you hear of a guy shooting a buck just as he walks into the woods" . Well about 500 yards down a wood road a buck was walking toward me. One shot and he was down. Not a big deer, but it worked for me.

halfrack33

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:11:44 PM »
friends dad was hammering in posted signs 3 years ago. Stopped banging away on the nails, turned around, and had a buck staring at him. Lifted the gun up and dropped a huge 9 pointer that's on his wall now.

Offline skinner69

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »
I like to think of all the deer i've shot over the years as "give me" shots as i've never shot a deer over 20 yards away with a bow or further then 40 yards away with my gun.I like them close enuf to see the eyes before i shoot.Closest deer i ever took was 8 steps from me-swear i could smell his breath and know i saw his eyes widen up when he realized what i was just as i squeezed the trigger.

Offline husb0023

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »
I like most of my shots around the 50 yard mark as well.  If a deer is out at 100 yards or so and I have a nice lane to sneak on him I will usually try to close some of the distance before taking a shot.  I really like making one shot kills and feel like total garbage if I wound and lose a deer.  Close proximity is the way to do it.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
Working on putting a bow hunting DVD together...........  Time for a doe kill........ Doe comes in, 20 yrds broadside, Im shooter, buddy is camera man, had her PERFECT on cam and in perfect bow range........ I put it RIGHT underneath of her.........   Arrow just went under her belly, dont ask me how i did it,have killed deer at 55 yrds with the bowtech, but still miss a chip shot at 20.............
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal