Author Topic: Anyone use a T/C Hawkin?  (Read 7773 times)

Offline skinner69

• Nubbie
Re: Anyone use a T/C Hawkin?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:03:52 PM »
I carry a .50 cal T/C Hawken that my dad built froma kit 35 years ago and shot lots of deer with it.It's never failed me in the rain or snow and hits like a freight train.Wouldn't give it up for an inline even if it was a freebee.I shoot 90 grains of FFFG and a 385 grain Hornady great plains bullet-conical.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2009, 05:05:02 AM »
I had one, put it together in '85. Around '98 or so it needed a new nipple, so my brother said he had some and would change it for me. Well,, be wary of would be gunsmiths. He used the wrong thread pattern, and the result almost cost me my life. Second shot it went off and my hat flew off. When the smoke cleared I found my hat had a hole in the brim. Nipple had shot out like a bullet. Lucky the angle it sat in the breech it didn't hit my forehead. I bought a Traditions inline right then, called Cabelas and was hunting that weekend with it. I did like the Hawkin though until that day.

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »
I have this gun, I got it as a kit from my Daughter and Son in law 2 Xmas's ago and still haven't put it together. I need to get it done and get using it. Shot one in my younger days and loved it, it was a friend of mines gun and it was a blast to shoot. I'm thinking of staining it real dark, maybe some black walnut stain. What do you guys think?
Well guys I got the time to put the so called Cabela's brand Hawkin kit together and it is not a very well thought out gun (to put it mildly). First, one of the screws that hold the end cap snaps in two, then when I go to fit the barrel to the gun it does not come close to fitting. The rib on the bottom of the gun is 1/2 inch to long. Took it back to Cabela's and the return gal say's beings I don't have a receipt she can only refund the sale price of the gun and only on a gift card. So after she gave me a gift card for $219 I tell her my daughter gave $329 for the gun when she bought it. The gal said without the receipt thats the best she could do. My daughter did some digging and found the receipt so I'm going back today. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2009, 01:42:41 PM by Madpuppy »
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
My family bought me a flintlock T/C hawken a few years ago for hunting the late season in PA.  Beautiful gun, really nice wood stock.  It is very accurate but the flintlock is a whole different game!  That first poof in front of my face reaaly makes me jump.  Wish I had the time/place to shoot it more.  Good Hunting

Chimo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal