Author Topic: Whitetail Madness' Food Plot Progress 09-10  (Read 8480 times)

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
Re: Whitetail Madness' Food Plot Progress 09-10
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:54:05 PM »
I had TERRIBLE results with the imperial seed.............  Deer didnt touch it.  I have plots in this year again, same ol corn, with rhye grass and the antler king honey hole.  Season has been open here for 11 days (bow season), and i've only hunted this ground once.. Usually wait until later in the year to hunt it, unless i get a nice buck and his patterns nailed down early.  I rarely hunt over my plots, i like to hunt the bedding areas, travel corridors, staging areas, and all that other good stuff!  The food is there for the health of the deer, not for me to sit over and take my pick of what deer I want!! I know I know... I slacked with updated pics and what not this year, but we've been so danged busy at work I barely had time to get the plots in..........  Actually put all my plots in during dark this year cause work was taking up my daylight hours!

I don't think you should be concerned - While not an expert, I've been doing 2 plots (1/2 acre each) for the past 4 years.  The deer have hit the plots at different times throughout the year, but inevitably they alway get there.  Last year they never touched either plot until the first snow fall, when they literally destroyed both in 24 hours.  2 years ago, they were in both plots starting in late Sep.  I'm not sure what drives them, but they are certainly aware of your plots and are vistiting them regularly even if not touching them.
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline adksavage

• Forked
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2010, 07:03:34 AM »
Sounds like you have a great plan set in place. This year I have not had much luck with even finding a decent buck to hunt. My plots are mainly hit by does and fawns. No good bucks are even being spotted. Mostly 1 1/2 year olds in the area. I'm not at all interested in those guys. But season has just started so there is still some time to find the right ones. I wish you luck finding one. I understand about work being to busy to get out there. I have the same problem. But its a good thing we are so busy, especially these days where so many are out of work. Good Luck out there.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Ya I like to complain about working but it beats the heck outta being broke!!!!!!!  Found my big boy a few nights ago.... Been after this buck for the past 3 years....... passed em at 1.5 and 2.5 inside 15 yrds, almost sealed the deal on em at 3.5 but he took a different run than I would have liked him too....... He's 5.5 this year, big old boy, and SMART!  Usually see him a LOT during the summer in velvet and quite a bit during bow season, did a quick drive by passed the property on my way home from work and just barely caught him sneaking through the brush into my corn JUST before dark......  He's there, now I just gotta figure a way to get on this brute!  Got a little 10 acre interior grass field that he likes to hang out in, going in there tomorrow afternoon to settup a ground blind, then hunt the ground blind tomorrow night.  We shall see, hopefully his days are limited!!!!!!!

As for the rhye grass... Im waiting to see what they'll do to it during the winter and snow fall........ This is a bow only spot, no guns within 2 miles of this area so it stays good all the way till season ends!  With the rhye staying green all winter long im hoping they'll hit it a little harder then, one thing for sure is they sure as heck aint on it now........  Just barely hitting the corn, think all the acrons this year got em all tied up for awhile longer..........
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal