Author Topic: saw my first deer ever while hunting!!!...no shot :(  (Read 11230 times)

Offline trying to get my first

• 6 Pointer
saw my first deer ever while hunting!!!...no shot :(
« on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:26:44 AM »
Saw  my  first deer ever while hunting on Friday. Was up in the stand for 30 min. She came in from my right. She was out of bow range. She was on a mission and i knew she would not come my way. It was a BIG doe. I had my "can"call. I tried it but she ignored it. She didnt run or spook just kepted on walking...kinda dissapointing

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
Re: saw my first deer ever while hunting!!!...no shot :(
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »
Congratulations. Don't worry sooner or later one is going to come in close enough, then its up to you to finish the job.

Stick with it, shoot straight, and good luck during the season. Make  sure you update us (with pictures) when you finally do score.

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
ok i will..i just hope i get another chance at one :)

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
The more time you spend in stand,the more chances you will have to see and shoot a deer.so get back in that stand and good luck!

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
ok i will..i just hope i get another chance at one :)
You will and It will come when you least expect it so be ready, and GOOD LUCK  ;)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2008, 06:46:53 AM »
I hunted 8 years before I harvested my first deer so don't give up.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
I hunted 8 years before I harvested my first deer so don't give up.

Same with me, 8yrs of bow hunting before I shot a deer, Gun hunting is different.

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:22:53 AM »
Thanks guys...i took ur advice and got back in the stand. At about the same time 2-3 deer came in from my left. Looked like to be does. I had my "can" call i used that. They didnt respond to it. They  didnt even spook didint raise head or tail just pretended liek they didnt here it. Still no shot.

upstatehunter

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:31:58 AM »
If your seeing deer from your stand everytime you go, you are way ahead of allot of people. Just be patient and wait for the right shot. It will come.
Good luck!!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:39:27 AM »
A question; are these deer on a trail that's just out of your bow range? It might be as easy as moving your stand or blind into range. It sounds like you have some very calm deer, they might not have a problem with you being on the ground hiding behind a tree, just be careful of the wind and your movement.

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »
My stand is set up VERY close to a deer run so it seems like they wont take the run when im in the stand. Maybe it my scent? but if it was i think they would spook and run. I think im gunna get on the ground a few times and see if i can move in a lil closer

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
Do you have another spot to hunt for a day or two ? It might be a good Idea to let the area cool down for a day or so. When you come back to where you have been seeing the deer set up on the run in a different spot. Sit tight and be patient, patient, patient.  ;D

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2008, 01:58:38 PM »
BE PATIENT...I strongly advise you stay in the stand, rather then attempt to approach deer via a stalk on the ground.  You've done your homework regarding setting up a tree stand over an active run, so be patient and let them come to you.  My first 4 years of archery hunting culminated in 2 shots and no kills.  Often times I didn't see anything, or they were always too far away for me to shoot.  As I learned patience and stillness (even elevated, you need to remain still in the stand) I began to see more and more animals.  I was 18 when I finally harvested my first archery deer...and there's no shame in it.  The guys here have great advice, so pull up a seat and enjoy the free education.

As for the can call...does almost never respond, they may not even stop to look/investigate so don't waste your advantage.  Young bucks (button-1 1/2 year) will almost always respond favorably...and mature bucks will usually respond, however, they take their time and will most likely approach with the wind in their favor.  Don't overcall, and never call while the deer is alertly searching for the sound...they will pinpoint you're location IN THE TREE and be educated to your presence.

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
Thanks for the help guys ill just wait it out in the stand..sooner or later ill get lucky. Ill take it easy with the can call if i see them again. Ill probally turn it 3 times so if there is a button buck he will come my way or buck

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2008, 06:39:41 AM »
Try not using any calls or cans.  It took me years to gain the patience to sit and wait for the deer to come to me. I use to blow a call(no cans back then) every time I saw a deer.  Now when I spot one, I just wait and eventually they will work they way over to me. It might take them an hour to do it but if you are on a good trail like you said you are, they'll get their eventually.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal