Author Topic: Got to be some Elk Hunters out there  (Read 29754 times)

Offline USMCFM

• Nubbie
Re: Got to be some Elk Hunters out there
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »
Hello Wapiti,
       I got the archery Elk hunting bug seven years ago a real good friend USMC130FE introduced me to it in Colorado at Long Draw Reservoir. I have went back every year since. Although I am hunting up near your neck of the woods now. I have got my brother-in-law interested and we  are hunting in areas 6&7 public land. We are only a few miles from the Wyoming border!!! We sometines take the easy way out for dinner and head to the WyColo Bar and Restaurant. I was able to get my dad up there for two years before the damn cancer took him he fought it for 5 years though and he is a heck of alot better off now!!!
I was able to connect on one elk a nice cow. Although every year but one I could have gotten an elk I was just trying to get a better shot ect.... Ya just can't beat it though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2005, 05:28:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Dad USMCFM. Its good you were able to get him up into Gods country before he passed. Elk hunting is my passion, especially with a bow. I am fortunate that I am able to dedicate alot of time to hunting Elk. I have been a Police Officer for 15 years, ten with my current agency so I accrue pretty liberal amounts of vacation time (one of the few perks of a stressful job). That along with the fact that I work 12 hour shifts so I get alot of time off working 4 on 3 off one week and then 3 on and 4 off the next. If I plan it right I can take 3 days off and get 10 straight days. I usually take 7 days and hunt the last 3 weeks in September when the bulls are rutting hard and are really jacked up. If you ever have a desire to give Wyoming a try I would be happy to hook up with you. There is some really great general license area's I hunt and some even better limited draw area's. My main area that I hunt, when I can draw the tag, has had quite a few 400 class bulls killed out of it and tons of 375 class bulls which is the Boone and Crockett minimum. The bull to cow ratio in this area would blow your mind. That area has a pretty good draw success rate even for non-residents.

Wapati
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 12:40:50 AM »
Heh guys, I have some beaten elk trails behind my cabin in the hills. Questions: 1) How high should I place my tree stand? 2) How close to trails should I place my stand?
This will be my second year hunting elk and I started too late last year. I have a atv trail going up to the ridge but the terrain is definately not like what I have saw on some videos. Nothing real rough just thick. If we get an animal here you have to get it out of the bush quickly as lots of grizzly around. Every year a few hunters get it. Any help Mr Wapiti?

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 10:44:37 AM »
Terry I'm envious, you have ice in may and elk in your back yard. As for your treestand's, I would start by saying stay within your limit's. some guys feel sure about 25 yard shot's and some feel good shooting 50 yard's. As the height goes, I alway's try to go 20' or so but I mostly hunt deer. I wouldn't think elk would be any different. Alot of that depend's on the terrain, if its brushy you don't need to go as high as you would in open tinber. Don't forget, alot can be said for a well placed ground blind.
         Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 11:52:18 PM »
 I have not been on ice for quite a few weeks. Buddies go up to high altitute lake with atv's now. Probably very soft  as everything seems to be coming earlier this year. No one has been up there in 10 days that I know of. So no ice reports. It usually lasts into June but I don't think this year.
Thanks for the elk tips ;D. Appreciated.

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2005, 10:07:05 AM »
Hey Terry,

My friend and I are going to try tree stands this year for Elk. I have never tried it before because Elk herds move around alot and dont always stay put in an area. The herd and consequently bulls in the herd are alot of times at the mercy of the lead cow. Still, I believe a strategically placed tree stand near a wallow or on a well traveled trail can be deadly. I would not be concerned about getting real high in the stand because I dont think most Elk herds have been conditioned to look for or expect danger from above as are some whitetails that are hunted hard from tree stands. Just like anything else, I would set up so you are downwind from the prevailing wind and I would cow call, cow call, cow call while you are in your stand. I would try to set my stand between 20 and 30 yards of the trail in an area with plenty of shooting lanes. If you can tolerate them (I cant) practice making cow calls with a diaphram call because you will want to stop the Elk in a shooting lane before the shot. I would caution you about ever taking a frontal chest shot on any Elk with a bow. They are too heavy boned as you well know and it is a very low percentage shot from the ground. I would think it would be next to impossible from an elevated position. I like the idea of hunting from a tree stand because in my opinion, the hardest thing to do when hunting Elk is getting to full draw without being detected. Elk almost always travel in bunches and there are just too many sets of eyes to defeat. I cant count how many times I have called Elk inside of 20 yards and then just could not get the shot because I could not get drawn. I lucked out last year when I called a rag horn into 6 yards of me before he decided something was not right. I stopped him with a cow call, drawing my bow as he turned to flee. I ran him through at 19 yards. Getting them close has never been a problem, its getting the shot thats tough. Hope this helps you and anymore questions, I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Wapati (IceTroll)
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
  • LIVE LIFE, HUNT, BE SAFE, AND HAVE FUN
« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2005, 05:54:18 PM »
I have never elk hunted but a buddy of mine has a elk farm it is a thrill trying to score a huge bull elk they ar just a massive animal. but the liitle ones are just so cute.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Jun 08, 2005, 10:23:30 AM »
Thanks for the tips Mr Wapati. Luckily the elk were just opened up last year in my area and for 250 miles around. So they are not too spooky except where heavily hunted last year. No hunters for 6 miles where I hunt, which is just the way I like it ;D

Thanks for the pics B&S ;D

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
« Reply #23 on: Jun 08, 2005, 04:51:08 PM »
I will get more pics soon that way I can get you guys all excited I will post some velvet and hard antlered

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #24 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:10:49 AM »
Caught one small cow swimming accross the lake. Not very close though.
[/img]

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
« Reply #25 on: Jun 20, 2005, 05:54:03 PM »
Here are a few pics to get your blood pumping. they are starting to get pretty big not all the way there yet.

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2005, 09:57:11 PM »
I find out July 7th if I drew my limited quota special permit for Elk. Fingers are crossed. If not I guess I will have to hunt on a general license. Both are good areas, one just gets more pressure than the other. During archery season the pressure is minimal anyway. The limited quota area I applied for has some monsters lurking about with some bulls in the 400 inch class. I would love to arrow one of those creatures.

Wapati

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Jul 05, 2005, 11:16:06 AM »
well wapati only 2 days to go good luck with your draw

and by the way a while back i asked you what your name meant and lol i got i answer right on jeopardy because i knew what wapati meant, thanks ;D

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2005, 06:43:18 PM »
what a huge coincidence on jeopardy tonight the question was the other way around they asked what is the english term for the second largest of the deer family also known as wapati lol

Offline USMCFM

• Nubbie
« Reply #29 on: Jul 07, 2005, 07:42:38 PM »
Wapati,
Allen here hope your draw is successful. I got my draw in Colorado but the area that we hunt isn't Trophy and ever year we have gotten what we applied for. Were in Wy. are you located??? For the tree stand questions both my brother-in-law and I have had good times using them. I have missed two elk one cow and a 5X4 from the same stand location on different evenings. Darn ELK FEVER I guess!!!!!!! ;D Brother in law got  his first elk from a stand after letting four cows and a small bull walk by him he finally got his breath back and the next cow to walk by he placed a nice double lung arrow shot. So yes if you find a good trail/location set up and enjoy the wildlife.
Allen

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal