Author Topic: Bought my first Bow  (Read 3899 times)

Offline FRESHBAIT

• Forked
Bought my first Bow
« on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »
After many years of just putting it off, I finally bought a bow.  My budget didn't afford me to go out and spend alot on a super fancy bow so I looked around and found a Bear Encounter RTH package.  It was pretty much a no brainer for me b/c I needed a 31.5" draw length and the bow will go to a 32" draw length and for the price of $425 out the door I couldn't pass it up.  Talking with the tech at the shop he was saying that the Bear Bows have made tremendous advances over the last 10yrs and that they make great entry level bows.  What is everyone else's thought on it.  Anyone have one and have any issues?

Also I'll be purchasing my arrows, broad heads, and target block next week when I get paid what is the general concensus on setups.   I was looking into Carbon Express shafts w/ Blazer fletching,  100gr Rage broad heads, and some target points, as well as a foam block, and possibly a 3d target.   

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
Re: Bought my first Bow
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »
I love my bear bow.. its a Bear Game Over a couple years old now but still shoots great and i havent had any problems with it im going to take it into the shop this spring to have it restrung but thats just regular maintenance on any bow... I wont buy anything other than bear, ive been shooting them since i was a kid.

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
also thought i would add that a buddy of mine bought a brand new z-7 last year and i shot that a couple times and i didnt notice anything to spectacular about it especially when i saw the price tag he had on it.. He paid twice as much as i did and he couldnt hold any tighter groups than i was

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »
I was looking at that bow but went with a PSE I'm sure you will be happy with it they are a nice bow.
A 3d target is a must for me I only hunt one pin and practice from a stand. I move the target all around my yard quartered all different ways at different distaces so I know where to aim in all situations. It has helped me be more confident taking shots I normally would have passed up. the sky is the limit with arrows Carbon Express shafts w/ Blazer fletching is what I'm shooting and can't compain. Broad heads is a Chevy and ford thing if your set on mech. and like the rage I seriously consider you look at the G5 T3 I will never buy rage again after seeing these. I will add I tried the Nockturnal this year and they are great.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
Carbon Express makes a nice arrow, most Carbon arrows are decent quality, check out archerytalk.com under their section with stuff for sale you might find some really nice arrows for cheap, I got VAPs on there for 50% the normal price. I personally love Meat Seeker Broadheads in the 3 blade from Rocket, they are legal in NY and leave a huge hole. Blazer Veins are nice also, sounds like you will be all set. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a 3d target, just get a block style target. Bear has def made some strides in the archery department while keeping cost for the consumer low, I have shot one, it shot great. I am personally a Hoyt guy though. Good luck out there, archery is an amazing sport and pass time...Im going to go shoot my new bow now!
Take a Kid outside...

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket N-Fused Camo Arrow

Offline FRESHBAIT

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »
The wife went out today and bought my arrows for me ;Dv  she got me the Eaton Axis Full Metal jacket N-Fused Camo Arrows and some of the G5's T3's    as well as some bullet point target points and a target block.   

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »
The wife went out today and bought my arrows for me ;Dv  she got me the Eaton Axis Full Metal jacket N-Fused Camo Arrows and some of the G5's T3's    as well as some bullet point target points and a target block.   
Want to trade wifes til after christmas?  ;D

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:08:23 PM »
Want to trade wifes til after christmas?  ;D

2X on the trade wives.
What do you think of the G5's now that you have them in hand?

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:24:56 AM »
Hope you have fun and enjoy the new toys.....never have put much stock in things cost more must be better.....have shot bows from 150.00 to ones custom made and cost thousands....one can shoot a decent equipped bow that fits them very well and be successful with it.....I shot a Bear bow for a number of years.....tried them when I was looking a few years ago.....they were just more top heavy than most others on the market....I don't like a top heavy bow for hunting.....most will tend to shoot low...or if in a tree stand....the top of the bow will drop quickly, added to the angle of the shot.....a perfect form will be tough.....
But in the end it is to each their own....

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
SHAAAAAAWEET!!! Get out there and shoot some!!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal