Author Topic: Help!!!  (Read 3302 times)

Offline buckon

• Spiked
Help!!!
« on: Oct 25, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
shot a deer yesterday afternoon & seems i made a bad shot.deer quartering away about 11 or 11:30 must have hit a little back.found bloody bed this a.m.about 75 yrds. from shot sight.followed blood about 25 ft. before jumping wounded deer about 15ft. away.startled me so i didn't get a shot.deer obviously not moving great went not to far  so i left it alone.how long  do i wait...what do i do...how do i go about closing the deal?Help!!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
When did you jump the deer today or yesterday?

Offline waterfowlah

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
Back out! give it time to lay up again, By all rights if the shot was going to kill it, it would be dead by now. Work the wind and stalk it later today, Be ready for the kill shot. Normally I would say let it lay, But from what your saying its been almost 24hrs since you shot it?

Offline buckon

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
Jumped it at 8 a.m this morning.been laying since then.going in with a buddy to see what we find at 3:00p.m.shot deer at 6:06 yesterday afternoon.was looking over the bank when i jumped the deer, thought it would be dead by 8a.m.The fact that it could get up after all that time worries me but it really wasn't moving well.might be able to find it this afternoon.won't be 24 hrs. til 6:00 today.

Offline waterfowlah

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
My Bad, thought you said it was in the Morning, So 14hrs,  Bring Binos and look real good before moving around. be ready to shoot GOOD LUCK  let us know how you make out.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Shoot it again..... ;)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Wolley

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
bring a gun if possible.
wake up America www.infowars.com

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »
Back out! give it time to lay up again, By all rights if the shot was going to kill it, it would be dead by now. Work the wind and stalk it later today, Be ready for the kill shot. Normally I would say let it lay, But from what your saying its been almost 24hrs since you shot it?
2X get to where you jumped it and pay close attention to the wind walk 2 steps at a time and pan with binos every 4 steps. If you find it try to circle to the up wind side of it out of sight then go to it he will more than likely be facing you while your moving in just take your time and move slow if you can't get another shot before he goes you may have to just push it until his energy is way down or runs into a tree and you can get close and shoot him again.

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2012, 05:37:59 AM »
Well How did you do ?

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2012, 05:47:12 AM »
Hope you found it and finished it.....have had to run a couple down over the years....they will lay up and unless you step on them not move.....good luck!!!

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2012, 06:45:27 AM »
Yep I had to run one down after running out of bullets the deer had both front shoulders broke and no vitals damaged.
He was moving but not faster than I could run so a big stick it was.

Offline buckon

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »
UGH!!! went back out at 3:30 ,followed blood trail for about 1\2 mile,it walked 20 ft from our camp,though an open field,into a hedge row with water.high grass and brush make it a perfect place to die but nothing.ran out of blood and no sign of the deer. That's when the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach started.I know it happens but when the day comes when loosing a deer don't give me that feeling,that's when i take up tennis.suppose if i can't shoot any better than that i should take up tennis anyway!(sorry just a little pitty party)Have learned lessons so all is not lost.thanks again for all the tips.Checked a river bank across the street,and some other longshots this morning and still nothing.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2012, 08:53:28 AM »
Sounds like you have exhausted all avenues. It happens to everyone at some point chin up and head back out for redemption.

Offline waterfowlah

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2012, 09:08:14 AM »
Sounds like a meat shot, Dont beat your self up to much, Everyone needs to go through that to become a better hunter, Sounds like you will probably see that deer again, Next time will turn out in your favor ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal