Author Topic: Busted in stand  (Read 7147 times)

Offline buckon

• Spiked
Busted in stand
« on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
every time i go to my stand the deer are already there.or they will hang just out side of my range and blow and leave.have desented bla,bla ,bla and they alway catch me.they have patterned me.it is a comparatively a small patch of woods and the deer don't leave they just move on til the next time and wait for me again.have four stands on my property and before they come in they check to see if i'm there.i know moving my stands are my only option.are there anything else i can do?CAN I SPOOK THEM SO MUCH THAT THEY WILL BECOME O.K. IT LIKE WITH A DOG?Should i just keep going to the stand and eventually get a deer.What do you think?HELP!!!NOT BRAGGING BUT I HAVE THREE BUCKS COMING TO STANDAND I WANT ONE.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Busted in stand
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
Sounds like you are getting on stand way to late then. Go in earlier or just don't go on days you can't get in early. going in late and busting them is far worse than not going at all, I definatley don't think they will get used to it. It sounds like they already know the deal and are just playing you. I won't hunt the same stand more than once a week. Get in earlier or skip those days. Hang more stands and hunt elsewhere more often are what I see for your options.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline buckon

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
opening day was in at 4:30a.m. and deer saw me at 6:30a.m.could of shot but couldn't see horns.camera showed a four pointer.have two does with fawns and didn't want to do that.Second day in at 4:30 and deer busted me at six.wasn't even light yet.have them on camera leaving.will moving my stand 30 yards on the otherside of the foodplot help?I didn't get to say that my stand is only about thirteen ft.high.Ugh!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
Welcome to the site. You have mature does that know where your stands are. They will always check them whenever they go near them now. You really have to move the stands now. Try to put the stands where you have a lot of cover, I'm a big fan of pine trees for this reason.

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »
So when they see you do they go the same direction I say put a scarecrow up there and if you know where they head
Be there and stick one. 8)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
You gotta move your stands then. What about afternoon hunts? How close are you to a bedding area if you are in 2 hrs. before shooting light and they still see you? I like my stands another 10 ft. higher than that. Do you practice scent control? Trying a new entry route to the stand may help? To many variables not known here?
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
I think getting up higher would help.

I've been busted in the dark but I think that sometimes deer aren't sure what spooked them and often come back.  If you aren't practicing good scent control, then that could be more of the issue.  I've kicked out deer on the way in after sun up getting in late only to have them return in the afternoon on days when I spend all day in the stand.  Were they the same deer?  I don't know always, but one day in particular, the same spike showed up that way.

They ain't all that smart...
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
Try setting a pop up ground blind and shoot them when they are looking up.... ::) ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »
ROFLMAO
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline buckon

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
hey these are local deer that have seen me all summer.cutting wood,working on foodplots ,riding fourwheeler ect.hunt on same 50 acres so four or five stands is the best i can do.I do practice scent control diligently.Have shot plenty of deer in the past back there just seem lost this year.friends have been busted in stands too so that don't help.Got busted again yesterday afternoon.watched deer  about 70 yrds away.never knew i was there,worked it's way to me about 40 yards,looked up as to say "hello"put his head down,turned completely around and trotted off.Left plenty of cover this time because i already know the score.I'll make it happen just have to change it up.maybe a shooting shack in the future?Like hunting outside though.

Offline buckon

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
they usually leave the sameway they came in.two of these bucks were buttons last muzzle loader.(now 4 pointers).have tons of pictures,come in anytime they want stay as long as they want.it's different every day.will visit two or three stands a day sometimes.will bed under stands(have pixs).8:30a.m,10:30 a.m.2:30p.m. no real pattern unlike me have tried mixing it up and sit from like 10 to 2.shower everytime i go out with backing soda.spray all my stuff with scent killer and use the wind UGH!!!

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
The Rut isn't to far away sounds like you have bait for traveling bucks.
Have you tried a decoy deer are very social animals.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
Move your stands to the opposite side seems like they are winding you

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
I've had deer look up at me in the tree before on a heavily pressured but good public spot.  Some deer just learn to do that especially if they are heavily pressured.  So maybe that's the case and the ground blind is a good option.  Use that scarecrow idea to put a fake hunter in your stand (or your buddy), and set up the ground blind where the deer are moving to from your stand.  That'll teach 'em!!!!!!!!!

I had deer busting me last year during late season even though I was meticulous in my scent control practices, almost too anal really.  But I figured out what it was...I'd been using plastic bags to haul my stuff from home to my spot, then get out and change outside near where I go into the woods.  My wife bought some different type of bag that apparently left an odor of some sort, so that your trash doesn't smell so bad I guess.  I didn't realize it until I was looking for something that fell out of my backpack and had to stick my head in there, and I smelled it.  Dang it all!  All that hard work getting ready!  After that, I went and bought bags that I know work well and problem solved.

Another time, I had some Tinks leak out of my scent bombs that were sealed in zip lock bags in my back pack, and that was enough to tip them off, because even after I put them out, my backpack was hanging from my tree and must have had a Tinks scent from the leak and made them look up. 

Anyway, I'm just saying that even though you're diligent, there's always a chance that something might be happening that you aren't noticing that the deer are noticing. 

Good luck solving the puzzle.  I guess like the saying goes when fishing is tough, that's why they don't call it catchin'.  In bowhunting, that's why they don't call it killin' (except in Drobs case).
-Kevin Wilson

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
One other idea would be to leave that stand be for a few weeks as long as you can get the other people that hunt there to do the same thing.  Deer will forget after a while.
-Kevin Wilson

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal