Author Topic: Time to upgrade my sight and arrow rest  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
Time to upgrade my sight and arrow rest
« on: Sep 05, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »
Maybe...

Hey guys... getting fired up for archery yet?  I've been practicing and am not happy with my set up, so it's time to fix my issues.

I'm going to buy a new sight.  I currently use a Trophy Ridge 5 pin sight, it's a good sight, but a couple years my bow dropped out of the tree.  It was fine last season but during my recent practices I noticed that it's developing some play where the unit bolts to the base...after closer inspection, it's definitely damage from the fall that is worsening over time.  So, it's time to spend the money and solve that problem.  I'm thinking about moving to a single pin vs. the 5 or 3 pin... The Trophy Ridge Drive is one that I'll check out, and compare it to an HHA single pin.  I don't think that I'd need a 5 pin, might move to a 3 pin instead.  I don't know yet.

So, what to get?  Recommendations?

I'm also thinking about replacing my rest.  I'm currently using the original Whisker Biscuit.  It works fine, and I shoot tight groups with it.  But might change to a newer model because the original doesn't have the notch to quickly nock an arrow and you have to place your arrow through it broadhead first, then nock it.  I'd consider a drop away, but was wondering about having the arrow drop out...are they pretty stable in hunting situations? 

I once had a chance at a really nice buck and the arrow popped off my rest and lost my chance.  I never want that to happen again.  That's why I went to the Whisker Biscuit.  So, with the drop away, what's the risk?

So, again, what to get?  Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your input.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Time to upgrade my sight and arrow rest
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
I use nothing but a single pin and will never use anything else. If you practice enough you learn to compensate with it and it never needs to be moved. One pin does it all. Mine is a vital gear

For a rest I have never tried a whisker biscuit, been scared too. I don't like that something is touching my shaft and fletch especially in foul weather. I have a drop away from schaeffer and love it it has nothing to hold the arrow from bouncing and I have never had an issue, shot about 10 deer since I bought it. The arrow should never be bouncing around anyway if it does it is something wrong with the mechanics of ones draw just my 2 cents.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
I use the HHA Optimizer single pin had it 14yrs. now works great , Like AA said the more you use it ,The more little tricks you learn
use the drop away rest myself , have yet to have arrow come off  ;) :) :)

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »
I use a 5 pin sight, and like the other two I use a drop away for the reasons that aqua teen hunger force suggested  ;)
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'm not a rookie to bowhunting and have killed my share of deer, so it's not a form problem.  But I'll admit, the WB provides some added security or confidence that not having it gives you that the old standard rests wouldn't have.

The arrow should never be bouncing around anyway if it does it is something wrong with the mechanics of ones draw just my 2 cents.

Naw, it fell off a standard rest while attempting a shot following the deer walking directly below the stand.  It wasn't bouncing around and I never had a problem before that except once, and I'll get to that later.  I never thought about shooting straight down, even then, but just following the deer until I could get a good shot was when it happened.

But, after using the WB, I actually could practice and take shots straight down, easily and accurately.  That said, the only kill you'd have is a spine shot, and it's one that I would never take in the field anyway.

The other time it happened didn't cost me because I used my index finger to reset my arrow, but as I was following a doe to a shooting lane, my arrow knocked off the rest by a tree limb (tip of a twig actually) as I was following the doe moving right to left.  but still hung on the string.  I didn't worry about it much because I killed that deer.  The buck missed opportunity ticked me off though.

As far as the WB goes in foul weather, never had a problem.  The hole is big enough that the arrow sits on it like any other rest.  It will cause warping in plastic vanes though, so shooting feathers solves that problem.  Still, maybe it's time for a change.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
I use single pin and a qad drop away. The arrow is just as secure in there as a whisker biscuit  ;)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
Whisker biscuit........!!!!!!!!!!!!
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
I use single pin and a qad drop away. The arrow is just as secure in there as a whisker biscuit  ;)

yes thank you for saying this, I couldnt remember for the life of me what I have for a rest and it is a QAD..
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
I just returned the Trophy Ridge sight. Sight housing was soft I guess? I realized today the pins weren't straight vertically. Can't imagine it was over tightening and if it was it wasn't hard enough as far as I'm concerned. Putting the Truglo back on.

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2012, 04:43:40 PM »
For a single pin sight, go with an HHA or Spot Hogg Hoggfather, boss hogg, or tommy hogg. 

Rest,  QAD or RipCord
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2012, 08:19:12 PM by Inwellb4light »
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
I use a drop away, Alpine whisper flight.....has enough containment to hold almost to 90 degrees from vertical....Also use a single pin, adjustable by tru glow....Like it's scope with cross hairs, and that the scope has three more threaded holes for lights, or different pins in 8/32 if so desired....
Had a whisker biscuit, and mt son still uses it....like them a lot, but didn't like some of the flyers I just couldn't explain.....I can usually pin point a problem when they happen...but these just did and when I changed rests it stopped....so just my two cents.... 8)

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »
Thanks guys for the input.  I'm leaning toward the QAD rest and one of the single pin sites you guys recommended above.  I'm going to do some more homework on which site to get between the HHA, Viper and Spot Hogg.  I've read some reviews on the Trophy Ridge sight and I'm not as impressed as I first was...
-Kevin Wilson

Offline Thestanimal

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »
I ditched the WB last season and switched to a QAD rest and have never looked back.  I like it because the arrow will not fall out and you don't have to worry about noise.  I always had noise issues with the WB rubbing against my arrow when I was drawing back.  Cost me a couple of deer.  I switched and no problems since.

I'm going to be looking for new sights at the end of the season-I may switch to a single pin.  Right now my bow is good to 33 yards on my first pin.  I can't remember the last time I had to make a shot at a deer beyond 25 yards.  Interested in everyone's input on sights as well.

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
One thing to think about with the single pin sight.... and the big reason i do not hunt with one

You have a deer come in.  You range him at 19 yards you dial your pin to 20 and draw your bow.  Just as you settle your pin behind the shoulder the deer spooks just a little and runs out to about 35-40 yards.  Now what... Do you let down and move your pin? Or do you guess your hold over and let it fly?

Personally I hate the guessing game of judging hold over and have hunted with multiple pin sights for as long as I can remember. I feel i owe it to the animal to make the best shot i can, and guessing my holdover isnt worth the risks involved
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
last year i picked up the revolution micro adjust and love it. the wife is running a qad drop away. never had an arrow fall off on either.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal