Author Topic: Getting the Bow Tuned  (Read 11507 times)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Got the Bow Tuned
« Reply #30 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »
Upstatehunter, where do you think I should start looking here? If you had the time I would ask to come up and have you help me in person.

Read through the posts again....Knock point might be high....I set dead level with a release....
But thought your broadhead arrows were hitting higher than the field point....I still haven't adopted the use of a D loop only.....I tie a serving knock point on first and then use the D loop...
With the limbs you have, use the same point at the limb pocket to measure to the string...A T square comes in handy....Next time your at the bow shop, have them pull the cam off it and check two things....if the cam is bent(they have had some problems with them in the past), and if the cam bushings are worn.....Wish we lived a little closer together, would gladly give you some help.....

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #31 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:35:17 AM »
Thanks, I just send you a pm lol. I tried to get the shop to check the cam lean at draw, but they are so busy now I didn't have the time to wait. I can check the till tonight. The BH's seem to impact pretty close but there was definitely some fishtailing. I will stop and pick up the square and center tool after work too. I also have  two served knocks as inner loop stops but they slid in a bit on me so I'll correct that when I adjust the knock point again. When you say dead center, is it dead center to wherever the rest is or centered between the limb ends, or somewhere else?

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #32 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
I use center to the rest mounting hole.....center the arrow height to that on the rest at full draw position with a drop away, and then use a small string level on the arrow to set knock point at the string.....One thing I found with my particular drop away which raises the rest with the cable slide, is it needs to have the cable slide very free....or else it either doesn't raise all the way every time or it doesn't fall as fast as it should......I use a graphite powder lube on the cable slide....also lube the spring and bearing in the rest....

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #33 on: Sep 07, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »
I had a tech set the center shot for me and double check for cam lean too  8). He actually shoots the same bow same DL and weight, which made it real odd that I needed stiffer spined shafts. I have to use the shop for press work, my old press doesn't work on parallel limbs. They never charge me for anything anyway, so I like to stop in and buy stuff I need from them.

I think your arrrows might be too stiff, especially cut to 27.5". Stiff arrows tend to hit left, so to get them to paper tune you need the rest close to the riser. Trying to tune with broadheads from that starting point is going to be difficult.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Getting the Bow Tuned
« Reply #34 on: Sep 07, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
I'll look at that. Easy enough to try some of the old ICS 400's.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #35 on: Sep 07, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
Other option to make the new arrows would be to add weight up front, not sure going to 125 grain points would be enough. They make brass inserts in 50 and 100 grain that should fit those arrows, I have some to try with my recurves and CX arrows.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #36 on: Sep 07, 2012, 01:58:23 PM »
I can try that, they shouldn't be to expensive. I can get at least five more pounds out of it too, I'm only at 65lbs now and can do 70.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #37 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
Okay, so I marked my rest position before I started from scratch. Just for kicks I pulled the string stops and got a bare shaft (straight edge) on the idler wheel. Sure enough it was out. So second trip to the bow shop today got that straight and I'm on my way to tuned. The guys were real busy as expected so I hung out for an hour or so and when it got slow they both got the bow in vice and got it straightened. Then the younger guy set the rest and even walk back tuned it, even though I told him it wasn't necessary and I just didn't have a vice for parallel limbs. So my montacs are grouping good at 30 yds but I still have to tweak them in. At 20 yds the bare shaft was good horizontally but 1" high at 20yds, at 30 I shot it through the backer board way right. I ran out of day light but it looks like I'm on my way to being tuned. I'm still amazed at how much a slight lean on the idler effected everything.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
First stop at the shop was just for two feet of serving.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
lol it can begin to be a pain in the butt sometimes. glad your gettin closer. going from 100s to 125s would be enough to break the spine but i wouldnt worry that much about that. ide prefer to be over spined for broadheads anyhow. they typically shoot better. example, i used to shoot acc 3-49s for 3d and come hunting season ide retune w/ 3-60s foir the simple fact that they would tune broadheads easier BECAUSE of the stiffer spine.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #40 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:42:06 PM »
The whole reason I went to the 0.334 spined shafts was because couldn't BH tune the bow with the ICS 400's I was using last year. I think I should be able to get it dialed right in now. Nice to have the rest back out to a normal position, I was even able to go back to knock vane up and still clear the riser  ;D.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #41 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
Cool beans!!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Sep 07, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know how it goes. Tomorrow I'm going to go see what kind of damage has been done to my hunting area and try to stop and check in with the land owners. My friends discussed leasing their pasture as well with his wife this morning. The fist thing she said was that they couldn't stop my access to hunt there  ;D, and that they won't do it unless they can get a fair amount of money for it (enough to cover school tax).

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
Bow is shooting great, between the new glasses and getting the bow tuned well it's a huge difference. Have to start shooting single shots, I was hitting knocks at 40yds and at 40 to ~22 groups with random distances. That was at a silhouette target so I can't really aim at different spots. Also shot the 3D a couple times at steep angle and verified that I hit 2-3" high, as I expected but wanted to be sure. My new sight should be here Wednesday and I should get to do some longer range shooting this weekend out to 60 yards. I doubt I'd shoot at a deer more than 30yds, but if I feel good out farther I'll take a shot at a coyote  ;).
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 06:37:53 PM by stka »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #44 on: Oct 03, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »
Picked up a new rest yesterday to try to fix my vertical stringing, went back to a WB. Used calipers to measure and put the new one very close. First shot at lunch went 3' over the target at 20yds and wrecked an arrow. Back at it after work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal