Author Topic: Anyone got or getting any new archery related toys this year?  (Read 23180 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Anyone got or getting any new archery related toys this year?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
I wanted the 50-60yd pins specifically for coyotes. We have an infestation and I won't hesitate to sling a long range shot at one of them if I feel I have a good chance at it. It's one of the stipulations for two of the properties I hunt, let no coyotes walk by.

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #61 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
I wanted the 50-60yd pins specifically for coyotes. We have an infestation and I won't hesitate to sling a long range shot at one of them if I feel I have a good chance at it. It's one of the stipulations for two of the properties I hunt, let no coyotes walk by.

I like it!
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #62 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
To be honest I did not recover either deer I shot with them. Both were good boiler room hit's. Very little blood. Neither passed through. I switched to the Montecs and allmost all have had a pass through and easy recovery. Just my 2 cent's though.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #63 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »
You really can't beat the montacs for being tough and reliable. The SS are hard to get really sharp but are indestructible, the CS take an edge that is scary.

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #64 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:58:52 AM »
To be honest I did not recover either deer I shot with them. Both were good boiler room hit's. Very little blood. Neither passed through. I switched to the Montecs and allmost all have had a pass through and easy recovery. Just my 2 cent's though.

wow I dont like that, I think I will be looking into replacing them before I sit in the stand thanks for the heads up. My buddy shoots the Montecs and loves em but I wanted to try out the mechanical broadheads, any recommendations on those seems the general consensus is rage

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #65 on: Sep 05, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
I like simple, a single piece of steel is simple. Easy to touch up the edge's and I have not had an issue with group's. It's not broke so I am leaving it alone.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #66 on: Sep 05, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
Lot's of guy's love Rage too, I never used them. My son Zack (professor Backstrap) does. Big hole going in, never seen one come out yet. Seems like he has to replace them after each deer too. Can't give a thumb up or down really.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #67 on: Sep 05, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »
wow I dont like that, I think I will be looking into replacing them before I sit in the stand thanks for the heads up. My buddy shoots the Montecs and loves em but I wanted to try out the mechanical broadheads, any recommendations on those seems the general consensus is rage

What are you shooting for a bow? How much draw weight, arrow type and length? That will all play a part into how much energy you have to work with.

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #68 on: Sep 05, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »
What are you shooting for a bow? How much draw weight, arrow type and length? That will all play a part into how much energy you have to work with.

I am shooting a mathews z 7 extreme I believe I have it set at 55lbs, arrow length are 28" I believe I will have to double check, I shoot aluminum arrows so they are suppossed to hit hard

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #69 on: Sep 05, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
You should have plenty of power to push a mechanical through a deer. I wouldn't shoot a giant 2" mechanical but a normal sized one should work fine for you.

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #70 on: Sep 05, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »
You should have plenty of power to push a mechanical through a deer. I wouldn't shoot a giant 2" mechanical but a normal sized one should work fine for you.

nice I appreciate the help, now I gotta look for new broadheads Bogman has got me nervous about the grim reapers  :-\

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #71 on: Sep 05, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
I'm using mine  ;). I'll post a pic after I get my first deer with one.

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #72 on: Sep 05, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
nice I appreciate the help, now I gotta look for new broadheads Bogman has got me nervous about the grim reapers  :-\

A friend of mine uses them with great luck. The make some nasty holes.

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #73 on: Sep 05, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
I bought rage this year shot NAP spitfires for the previous 3 years.
Next year I will be going with G5 T3's its the best of both worlds rear deploying blades, bone busting tip and no rubber retaining system.

Unless they changed something, the T3's weren't legal in NY. I really wish they would do away with the barbed broadhead rules.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #74 on: Sep 05, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
Get the G5 T3's and be done with it Erik. That is what I am shooting much more durable then Rage! Completely legal for you and I 8)
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal