Author Topic: Help me choose fletching size  (Read 11248 times)

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
Help me choose fletching size
« on: Mar 19, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I am switching to carbon arrows. Beaman ICS so I can use the same luminocks as my old aluminum arrows. Still undecided on if I am going to stick with Rage 2 Blade or switch to Magnus 2 blade Stingers without the bleeder blade. I have has great luck with both and Magnus's replacement policy really appeals to me.

Should I get 2 inch vanes or 4 inch? Would 2 inch work with the Magnus fixed blade?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Help me choose fletching size
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
If you go with a fixed blade like the Magnus, you'll want bigger vanes. May need to put an offset or helical on them too. Upstatehunter and CaptJJ (and others) could give you more insight but I would be very impressed to see a bow tuned well enough to shoot a large flat blade with 2" vanes. The trade off is that you will loose a lot of speed going to a 4" and even more without them straight. I have them on mine now, but will be refletching back to 2's soon. Do you fletch you own arrows?

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:19:46 PM »
If you go with a fixed blade like the Magnus, you'll want bigger vanes. May need to put an offset or helical on them too. Upstatehunter and CaptJJ (and others) could give you more insight but I would be very impressed to see a bow tuned well enough to shoot a large flat blade with 2" vanes. The trade off is that you will loose a lot of speed going to a 4" and even more without them straight. I have them on mine now, but will be refletching back to 2's soon. Do you fletch you own arrows?

I have an Arizona EZ fletch jig but it only works for aluminum arrowns. I plan on getting one for carbon arrows. I was just reading on Archerytalk that Stingers work with the 2 inch fletch. I'm still leery though. It would be sweet if it would work.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
The newer short vanes are stiffer and taller, that's why they steer arrows better than the old 4" ones. I went with the 3" Fusions, they are stiff but not as tall as the 2", they work really good; switched from 4" Duravanes. Lots of guys seem to do fine with 2" vanes, but I like a little lower profile for cable clearance. Definitely use a helical or offset jig to fletch the arrows if you want to use broadheads, makes a big difference.

http://www.norwayindustries.com/products/fusion.aspx
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »
I shoot Beman ICS Hunters with 2" Blazers and two blade Rage. I use a Bohning Blazer fletching jig which put a helical on the vanes. I have piled them up the last two years with this setup.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
The stingers seem quite tun-able.  I can think of a pretty famous archer that uses them. Quite well, and shoots a bow going fairly quick. He does use feathers, not vanes. I tend to do the same as JJ...Want the cables as straight as possible. I don't care what the manufacturer says, having them at a severe angle to the cam isn't good for Cable life, cam life, and the power stroke of the string.  That said, your going to need something to quickly stabilize. The 3" should be a good start.

Offline waterfowlah

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I just fletched up My 6580 grizzlystick UFOC with 2" blazers, the arrow weighs 620grn. At 50 yds they fly great. I also fletched up My ACC with 2" fusions. The new vanes have come a long way. Now I need to find which one is the quietest.

Hope this helps.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
JJ, I'm thinking about going with the 3" fusions, are you happy with them or have you found any draw backs?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
No problems, ver y happy with them. Only thing I heard is some glues make the bases wrinkle; I used Fletch-tite Platinum and they did a little but it wasn't an issue. I had used Saunders NPV before and may need to use that with feathers on aluminums for a recurve; that glue holds great.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to look at the NVP when I run out of Fletch-tite. Guy on archerytalk has some 3" fusions pretty cheap, wanted to ask before I got 100 of them (for $17). Anyone interested in splitting the cost and getting two colors (lime/Fl Orange)? Having a hard time justifying buying 200  :o.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to look at the NVP when I run out of Fletch-tite. Guy on archerytalk has some 3" fusions pretty cheap, wanted to ask before I got 100 of them (for $17). Anyone interested in splitting the cost and getting two colors (lime/Fl Orange)? Having a hard time justifying buying 200  :o.

Found them on ebay for $16 shipped and color choice. Will be refletching next weekend.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
I wonder if I should fletch my own...
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »
Found them on ebay for $16 shipped and color choice. Will be refletching next weekend.

When I ordered them 2 yrs ago I paid $.14 each, now they are $.25 a piece; off course they are a petroleum product, like lots of things. Glad I bought extras.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
I got 64 Lime and 33 White for $15.90 shipped ($0.16 each) after a few minutes of searching.

I wonder if I should fletch my own...
Check out the link I put up for the fletching jig, $45 is a good deal for a Blitzburger Dial-Fletch. Looks like the guy took good care of it. Same one I use, has great adjustability and fits all diameters of shafts  ;).
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2012, 11:08:35 AM by stka »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal