Author Topic: Bow Tuning  (Read 2318 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Bow Tuning
« on: Apr 04, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
I read up on "walk back" tuning and it's much simpler than I expected, but I only see it working for left to right alignment. For the guys who do this do you paper tune afterword for up and down alignment, or just set the rest and knock point before tuning and leave it?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Bow Tuning
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »
Usually it's paper tune first, walk back to fine tune afterward. Some guys just set nock point 1/8 to 1/4" high and do fine, I have for years but lately have been using a bare shaft to make adjustments; never did much paper tuning.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »
I only ever used to paper tune, but having the new string on now I figured I'd try to tune it in as good as I can get it. I just did some research on tuning, Looks like I'll be shooting a lot before I get it right. I did get the Vapor Trail strings and cables.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »
It doesn't matter how you get there, the idea is to get the bow shooting good; some guys just tune with broadheads, it all works. I was suprised to see how good fletchings are at correcting arrow flight when I started shooting a bare shaft.

Nice choice on the strings, the VT's are as good as any. ;)

I decided to get both bows shooting the same arrow this year, makes things much easier. Already had one shooting great, starting to work on the other one. Takes some shooting to get it right like you say.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
paper tuning is a great way to see any flaws in your bow's setup....I paper tune then fine tune...cant wait to start shootin once again!
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
Finally got the garage cleaned out a little and started walk-back tuning. Guess I haven't shot in a while as my groups weren't great but the tuning looked pretty close. I'll have to sling a few more arrows at it, but I think the bow is tuned better now than it was before the string change. Loosing the banded peep probably helped a little. I might even get it out after tom

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
I got the walk back done did 20, 30 and 40 yards. Didn't get finished setting the sight I hope I can do it tomorrow so I can bring the bow on Sunday. I'll have CamoedChick back me with the 12ga in case they charge  ;D.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »
Looks like you are in the same area at all distances. A little sight adjustment and you good to go!!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
I've got it set now It's all I've taken out for turkeys so far.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal