Author Topic: string silencers  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
string silencers
« on: Oct 10, 2005, 08:05:10 PM »
Just wondering what everyone uses for string silencers?  I've been using string leeches by SIMS but am always on the lookout for something new to try.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: string silencers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2005, 11:59:04 PM »
I just always used the regular rubber looking ones with alot of small strands, I am always open to new stuff too.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2005, 08:26:52 AM »
i have used the rubber stringy ones as well as string leeches and i like the string leeches far better.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2005, 08:46:29 AM »
I always use the regular rubber ones on my string and like them. I have found that Sims Limb savers really help also on the bow limbs.
Adam

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2005, 11:35:22 AM »
I have limbsavers too. i'd recomend anyone that doesnt have them to get them. no matter how quiet your bow is they will still quiet it more.

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2005, 01:01:19 PM »
SIMS also makes a rubber donut type thing that goes over your cable guard.  I put one of those on as well. I too use the limb savers.  I have a friend that I shoot with who doesn't use anything to dampen or silence vibrations and his bow sounds like a shotgun going off.  I'm pretty convinced these things work.  HAs anyone tried the string silencers by Diamond archery I think.....they look like little spiders with wiggly legs...that's the best I can describe them.  Made out of rubber and you attach them to the bowstring with serving

Offline bird dog

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2005, 01:17:11 PM »
I have silencers that sound similar to those by Tru Ball. They are made of a soft leather like material, and are attached to the string with wieghted balls to add speed to your rig. They seem to work as well as the regular cat whisker style. I have not shot it through a crono to see the differance in speed.

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2005, 06:21:23 AM »
I make my own, and I have one of the quietest bows among the guys I hunt with.  I take an old fleece pant or jacket (the thicker, the better) and I cut a 2" x 2" patch.  Then I use a bow press, split the string in half, insert the patch and remove the press.  Then wrap the patch tightly against the string and tie down with serving in three places.  I have tried a similar commercial product, fleece patch that had strips, but it was inferior.  I have used this on 2 Hoyts and an Oneida Eagle.  Really takes out the 'twang' sound...
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline Scott Wright

• Forked
  • shotgun, rifle or bow... I LOVE to hunt!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2005, 06:26:47 AM »
I make my own, and I have one of the quietest bows among the guys I hunt with.  I take an old fleece pant or jacket (the thicker, the better) and I cut a 2" x 2" patch.  Then I use a bow press, split the string in half, insert the patch and remove the press.  Then wrap the patch tightly against the string and tie down with serving in three places.  I have tried a similar commercial product, fleece patch that had strips, but it was inferior.  I have used this on 2 Hoyts and an Oneida Eagle.  Really takes out the 'twang' sound...

Only problem....the fleece holds scent...
Let\'s go get \'em

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2005, 07:01:46 AM »
Only problem....the fleece holds scent...

No more scent than the fleece that I wear.  Coupla sprays a few times a season from a decent scent neutralizer and you are good to go.  Plus, I personally think if you wash before hunting with decent hunting soap/shampoo, keep your clothes clean, the deer will not smell you - EXCEPT for your breath.  That is what I believe most deer smell.  And proper stand placement will keep most deer upwind.
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal