Author Topic: Deer scents  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
Deer scents
« on: Sep 29, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »
I was just wondering what everyone uses for scents during the bow season.  I've been using Kishels scents for a few years with really good success.  I've had many good bucks come into their doe in heat urine during pre-rut and rut.  For me the Kishels stuff works really good and I think because they are collected locally near the area I hunt that maybe that is one reason they seem to work so much better than the other brands I've tried in the past.  Just curious what everyone uses and why

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: Deer scents
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2005, 02:26:45 AM »
yeah, getting it local is good, I think it makes it seem more real, I don't really have much of a preference on scents yet, becuase I am always trying new ones to see which ones I like, and I have not tried them all yet so I can't say, but many kinds are good scents.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2005, 12:32:43 PM »
Tinks 69 has got to be the best sent for any time close to or during the rut. there is just something about it that makes it work.
i know people who will swear by it.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2005, 02:48:46 PM »
I like some of the wildlife research scents, the deer seem to take an interest in them.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2005, 06:05:41 PM »
I've used Tinks and in my area I swear the Kishels stuff works much better.  I also had pretty good luck with the tinks when I used it, but the last 3 years I'm 3 for 3 during bow season using Kishels....all 3 times the deer came into my scents and stopped to sniff where my scent drag went or actually sniffed the wick hanging off of a branch.  Kishels will be getting my money from now on.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2005, 11:53:54 AM »
I have had pretty good luck using Pete Rickards scents.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2005, 10:47:55 AM »
Kishels for me.It is local and it doesn't have additives like some of the other brands.I have used it for two years and found it to be a great tool.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2005, 06:11:55 PM »
derek, i always thought your secret was M.J. ;D

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2005, 08:40:50 AM »
derek, i always thought your secret was M.J. ;D
I only use that for ice fishin arch.Works great to huh? ;D

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2005, 05:39:40 PM »
Got another nice buck this year during bow season using Kishels scents.  That makes 4 bucks in the last 4 years that have fallen to Kishels during bow season for me......I rarely use scents during gun season......

Offline seaweed

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:23:11 PM »
Bob,
How do you use the scent, or is that a trade secret?

Pete

Offline huntwriter

• Nubbie
    • Master Butchers Choice
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:36:30 AM »
I use the scent products of Tinks and Mrs. Doe Pee. But also any other brand I have available.
It has not so much to do with what area the deer lure comes from but with how fresh the scent is. Urine based products turn sour quit quickly and give an unnatural smell off but other than that urine is just that. Urine! Urine is made up of water 90% the other part are ammonia and hormones. It is the ammonia and the hormones that are important to the deer. The ammonia tells the deer how old, or when the other deer peed. While the hormones tell the deer what sex the other deer is and in what state it is in, i.e young, old, male female, receptive female, member of the herd or stranger.

As has been said here, locally produced deer lure tends to be fresher and thus gives the impression off that a deer just recently passed by. But by far the biggest factor in scent use is to use the right scent at the right time of the season and to use the right amount. For example, a doe in estrus scent will do no good in the early fall season because does are not in heat then and bucks know that. So if a hunter used this scent all the bucks in the area will know something is not right and avoid the area.

The right amount is also very important here, as with many things in hunting, more is not better. When it says on the bottle "...use four drops" and the hunter empties the entire content of the bottle in a scrape then the bucks will stay away from that scrape because they know does do not grow as big as a Holstein cow.

Scent lure has to be applied where deer move anyway, on active travel patterns no deer buck or doe will make a detour just to check out a scent station, again deer will become highly suspicious if scent is placed where deer don't travel. I have also found that deer do not like if the urine based scent is placed above ground, makes commensense to me, no deer pees four feet high up a tree trunk or a sapling, it's just unnatural.

Hope this information helps.

P.S. I am new on these boards and I am very impressed with it. I hunt for over 40 years now as a side line profession I write hunting articles and give hunting strategy seminars. I look forward to converse with you all here and have some good and constructive discussions. I am very open minded, although I have a special fondness of bowhunting for its special challenges I hunt with all weapons. I am not a trophy or meat hunter. I am simply a hunter and will take every opportunity to be in the woods with what ever weapon is in season. Never saw any reason why I shall limit my time in the woods.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal