Author Topic: Dissapointed  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
Dissapointed
« on: Sep 27, 2005, 12:13:46 PM »
Well, I got out Saturday morning to bowhunt and after about three hours I got a shot at a real nice doe. I got her to stop after I drew and let her have it. The arrow hit a little high but smacked her in the shoulder pretty hard. She fell down immediately, got up and stumbled then fell again, rolling over the arrow and breaking it off. I gave her about an hour and a half before we started tracking as I was unsure if I caught vitals. We found my arrow and alot of good blood for about 50 yards then everything stopped. No blood, no tracks, no deer :( We swept the woods for hours, but could find no trace of her. I sure thought the shot was better ??? Last night, my girlfriends dad, who helped me track, hit a doe and had the same problem. I hope this isn't the way the whole season is gonna go. I don't want one more animal to get away wounded as it makes me feel shi**y for a good week every time. Just venting I guess. Good luck to all you other bowhunters. Make em count!
Adam

Offline Robb

• 6 Pointer
Re: Dissapointed
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2005, 12:59:22 PM »
That sucks man. I'll be heading out tonight and hope that it doesn't happen also. Not sure how I would handle it though I know I would be bummed out big time. Good luck next time.

Robb
2010 ADK 14 PT

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2005, 02:01:14 PM »
I've always been leery of gut shooting, so much so that I have a tendency to shoot forward, which really is worse. I've always found the gut shot ones ??? Those muscle hits are just worthless. Hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to redeem myself :-\
Adam

Offline bayonne

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »
im sure everyone has had a time when they culdnt find the deer i had one my budy found it 2 days latter with a 100 buzzards on it they wiped it clean heart shots tend to run far aswell the best ones are double lung they dont go very far

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2005, 08:50:37 PM »
lungs shots are the best but dont worry this story is better i went to finish stand set up today saturday is opener for me  and i watched 4 deer move down a streem and cross well out of where my stand was so i checked to move it and as i was trimming branches for a shooting lane got stung by 8 bees and still tryin to find the res needless to say my sheares saw and sun glasses are in the wood hopefully i can get them tomorrow with out the bees

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2005, 09:32:27 PM »
I lost a buck two years back.  It was a pretty good shot although I know for a fact I only got one lung as I shot down on him at about 5 yards from the base of my tree.  Arrow stuck in the ground below him. We tracked him for over 300 yards and then the blood ran out. I swear he left a gallon of blood on the forest floor...no joke.  I looked for another drop for over 3 hours and then searched for another 2 1/2 for the carcass and never found him.  That deer still haunts me to this day.  I felt aweful about it, but the only consolation was that I know it was a fatal shot and I didn't leave a broadhead in the woods as I recovered the arrow.  Still though it sucks to lose one no matter if its a buck or a doe.

Offline tbtool

• Nubbie
  • Hunting, my sanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2005, 06:53:22 AM »
I shot a 6 pointer 4 years ago with my bow.  the dear was limping when it came in, i couldnt figure out why until i skun the dear when i was hanging it.  The dear had a broadhead stuck in its front shoulder with the arrow broken off at the skin.  It looked like a month old or so.  He was still walking and eating.  I had to throw the dear meat away cause of gangrene. i guess it didnt hit any vitals

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2005, 08:15:22 AM »
Well, there's a good chance that I saw her again last night, as I kicked up 3 deer and the lead doe was bobbing her front end. She still got out of there fast and I didn't see any blood. Hopefully, she'll offer me another shot soon so I can seal the deal and end her suffering and my questions.
Adam

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:21:42 PM »
thanks for the info dwayne i hit one on saturday a slight angle shot put it into the front of her from the front of her right shoulder to the back of her left almost no blood and after 3 hours of searching nothing it really bothers me that i couldnt and still havent found her or the arrow especially cause i had just put a new broadhead on and a brand new illuminock the night before 10 bucks for that thing what a waste nothin but a clean broadside shot from now on

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2005, 12:22:20 PM »
fastribs....that's definately a low percentage shot.  Broadside or slight quartering away shots are the only one's I'll take. 

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2005, 10:29:06 PM »
thanks what really bothers me know is i know a guy who hit one in the hind qaurtes and killed it but mine went into the chest and it didnt hardley bleed  ???

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2005, 11:30:02 PM »
they tracked for for about 1 1/2 hours or so and found out today my bro was hunting the same area on tues. and noticed a gut pile down from my stand and only 1 or 2 other people hunt that small patch of woods and she was headed in that direction

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:27:33 AM »
Deer are a tough animal.  I got one about 4 years ago that had 12 inches of arrow and the broadhead still in it, from the PREVIOUS season.  The arrow was in the loin next to the spine.  I don't remember whether it was going towards the front or the back, but either way, the hunter took a bad shot at the deer - head on or at the ass.  Either one is an irresponsible shot at a magnificent animal.  The best shot at a deer is broadside or quartering away.  With quartering towards, there is not much of an angle, and without out a perfect shot, there is too much of a chance to hit the front leg bone, or the stomach area.  Plus, the deer has a decent chance of seeing the hunter, further making it hard to hit the right spot.  Which means the deer is gonna suffer, and nobody wants that.  With a broadside or quartering away shot, the vital kill zone is at it's largest, and a good shot here means the deer is most likely dead in 10 seconds, not wandering around with an arrow hole thru the guts, or a broken leg and nasty hole in the foreleg.  I am not saying I have never made a mistake, but I have learned from them, and will not make them again.  Being pysically sick/upset for a week knowing I took a bad shot and now there is a deer out there in pain or slooowly dying will teach a lot...
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2005, 10:40:10 PM »
thanks still bothers me on that shot but ive learnd so i will not do it again if only i can get one close enough or let alone see another one guess its also a little bit of inexperiance only my second year out with the bow and never had that problem

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal