Author Topic: Almost got the shaft.  (Read 7355 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Almost got the shaft.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2010, 03:41:01 PM »
My Brother uses Montecs and like's them so I figured no sense reinventing the wheel.
Very wise words. ;)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »
She was a healthy one Upstate. The smile says it all.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »
Yes he has DRob...Two years ago at 17.

I used a two blade Wasp for years, they blew holes in a deer. Then they quit making them. So I switched to grim reapers.
Now I remember. The pic jogged my memory that is a nice doe.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2010, 03:50:47 PM »
Now I remember. The pic jogged my memory that is a nice doe.

And a good shot too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
Yup, a great big Adirondack doe...  Great picture...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
I picked up three G5 Montacs CS at Dicks a week or so ago. I've still got 4-5 of the stainless ones, but picked up a pack of the new carbon steels to use as primary hunting heads. I like to get my blades ultra sharp and have been having a tough time with the stainless ones after a few deer and a few ooops. I think the sharper the blade the harder it is for a shot to clot or plug up on you.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2010, 04:13:27 PM by stka »

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
Had a rain day today,H3 is working outside framing a new house so he was off. We took a ride to Bass Pro Shop to stock up on supplies. I took the leap back to fixed blade's. G5 Montec carbon steel. Figured I may as well have a pack of "preseason" practice head's too. A couple dozen arrows and $300 later we were headed home.
So to this point I have been shooting to get my form and consistency in shape, I still need to tweak the pin's a little. I shot 3 arrows at 30 yds with field point's at the top right, then 3 with the montec practice heads at the center. I was pleased with the outcome. They are shooting a little higher than the field point's but they are all together. The second pic is at 40yds. ,again high but not a bad group. With a little fine tuning I may be able to kill a couple this year.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »
I see dead stuff in the future for you. The Montecs wont let you down.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
Shot for an hour tonight after supper,Got her dialed in pretty well out to 30yds. Was waiting for my Partner to come and shoot with me but I guess I didn't invite him enough time's,or Facebook was busy one or the other. He's probably all set and doesn't need to practice any way.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »
Yup I checked earliler and he was on FB... ;D ;D ;D  He must have been showing the tree huggers his trail cam pictures.. ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »
Good groups Harrie!!
Had a question, did you move the pins or the rest? Sometimes a little tweak on the rest will stop the planing and your heads
will hit the same point as the field points.
We worked on Tyler's tonight, he's ready for the blood letting to begin!!
I sheared off another nock, and smashed a broadhead. I'm ready out to 40yds.  ;D
Now we just have to get the deer to cooperate...

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »
At least some one is seeing them, We aren't.  ;D  Well at least you can now.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #27 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
Good groups Harrie!!
Had a question, did you move the pins or the rest? Sometimes a little tweak on the rest will stop the planing and your heads
will hit the same point as the field points.
We worked on Tyler's tonight, he's ready for the blood letting to begin!!
I sheared off another nock, and smashed a broadhead. I'm ready out to 40yds.  ;D
Now we just have to get the deer to cooperate...

This is why I need you to live closer LOL  I moved the whole sight to get me centered. Then i used my range finder instead of paces. I do this with the thought that the pin is where the range finder say's the distance is, and set the top pin. I use one pin out to 20 yds because the 10 and 20 yd would be so close that my old eyes get so I can't focus on all that. I just hold at the bottom of the dot on the block for 10. I have the 30 yd pin set, Didn't shoot 40 tonight because the youngest boy was shooting with me and I have to move the target out. I'm guessing that if the rest is off it will show the further away I get.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:36:12 PM »
Ok so I just read an old post JJ did and he said to move the rest until the field point's and broadheads come together.  How does that work? My field point's were shooting left and the broad heads right. If I move the rest left to make the broad heads on, wont the field point's be even further left?

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #29 on: Sep 17, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »
You will have to move the sight as well but in smaller amounts when you adjust the rest first.
Best bet is to paper tune it, to make sure your left or right isn't torque. That is what Tyler was fighting. A little bit with field points doesn't mean a huge
difference at the target. But with broadheads a 1/4" torque will mean a 10-12" left or right hit at 40 yards.
What you want to do is move the rest a little to the left, so the broadheads hit with the field point, then move the sight a little left to be on the spot.
Then you should be able to shoot both with the same pin settings.
A paper tune frame doesn't have to be elaborate, Just to staple some white paper over to shoot through. It gives so much info. Took four shots to get Tyler
holding the bow so he wasn't torquing it left wicked.(one reason I don't like those big beautiful wood grips) They encourage you to wrap your hand around the
handle to far which torques the riser, or you twist your wrist to keep from hitting your arm and torque the other way. Best if the handle sits squarely on
the heel of your hand with the thumb out and open hand. Had to laugh as Ty thought I was nuts telling him it was him not the rest.(the tears were all different sizes)
So I shot it once and it was a bullet hole. We worked on his hand position a little and bingo bullet hole. Just had to move the rest a little.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal