Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 9803 times)

Offline J_Maki

• Spiked
Broadheads
« on: Apr 06, 2005, 05:11:27 PM »
I just switched over to some Rocket Steelhead 100 broadheads. Thought I would try something new. Anyone ever use these? I will give a report after I get a bear this spring on their performance.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2005, 09:13:06 AM »
i have friends that use them for deer and say they work great i personally wouldnt use a mechanical broad head on bear but steelhead has a good track record of opening up from what i hear good luck with them and let us know how they do

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »
Why not a mechanical on bears arch? The good quality heads out there will open on impact despite all the horror stories we all hear. Usually when someone blames the broadhead for not recovering an animal, it was operator error and not the head. I have had devastating results using the Spitfire 3 blade 100 and the Spitfire 3 blade pro series on Elk. I like the pro series a little better because they have the cut on contact razors in the tip. I have never had one fail. If they will zip through an Elk, they darn sure will zip a bear. Some people claim they dont open because they shoot them into foam and when the look at the broadhead after it passes through the foam the blades are closed. Its not that the blades didnt open, they just simply snap closed as the arrow comes to a screetching halt. I have seen slow motion footage on film of this very thing. To each his own but if they are legal where you hunt, a good mechanical is the ticket.

Wapati
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2005, 12:25:32 AM »
i have bow hunted for 10 years and nothing beats a solid broad head mechanical broad heads are for people who buy into the crap that they fly straighter, which they do because they reseble a practice tip in flight but have personally seen them not open with other people i hunt with and when your on a deer ok but with a bear i will never take the chance and the film you have seen i can guarantee was filmed by the makers or sponsers of mechanical broad heads and i wont say they dont work but will say that if you put me on the ground with an animal that may become defensive and give me a choice of broadheads then mechanical will never be #1 and shooting an elk is alot different than shooting a bear the shoulder blades are a whole different ball game and as far as people shooting through a target they better get new targets because the ones we shoot at you aint going to shoot through but if you shoot at it with a mechanical broadhead and then pull it out and it still aint open then what more proof do you need unless your 20 feet up in a stand and have nothing to worry about if you broad head doesnt open because im on the ground and my broadhead is already open so i know the animal is going down and as far as legality they are very legal here and all my friends that use them stick by them until they have to blood trail an animal for 2 days then they down talk them and switch back so that is my theory but if you have a success story lets hear it but if your basing this on the theory that mechanichal broadheads fly straighter then shoot an animal with one and when only 2 blades come out and you just missed the animal then you will know where i am coming from but if you truly feel more confident and have had success with them then good for you and congrats on a great kill my views are mine im not trying to change anyones mind just my experience in 10 years of bow hunting is not favorable to mechanical broad heads

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2005, 10:15:53 PM »
I love Thunderheads, the pro series is even better (regular three blade broadheads), I killed a nice doe the other year, and those broadheads did more than their job, that thing hit the shoulder bone, shattered it, got the heart, and somehow ended up in her front chest area, and killed her extremely efficiently, I watched her go down very quickly, the arrow broke, and the thing stuck in her and sliced her up real good every time she took a stride, she only went 15 yards.  After processing, I retrieved the broadhead, and found it in almost perfect condition.  That's performance.  I just stick with regular broadheads, mechanicals just add complications, and you just never know when that one time they don't perform will happen. I do think mechanicals work on alot of game, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  Especially on grizzly.  I have been shooting regulars forever, and don't have a problem with accuracy, or kill power.  I just don't have a reason to switch, and don't really want to because I know what I hit is going down, and I know I just gave that animal all I've got to make it a quick kill.  Muzzy's work, and the other kinds, I just like thunderheads, becuase I have had nothing but good results, and haven't had a reason to use any other broadhead.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2005, 12:55:58 PM »
I second the thunderheads,  I have used them for the last 15 or so years and have never had a problem with them and plenty of deer have hit the dirt using them.  I have always wondered about my buddies changing arrows, bows, broadheads, etc when what they have works fine.....a fool and his money.....you know the rest.

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2005, 07:13:05 AM »
I'm on the thunderhead bandwagon, I used them for many years and they always work great.
         Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline bayonne

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2005, 06:57:14 PM »
im a thunder head man my self they make a huge hole and they bleed alot almost always get a good blood trail

Offline J_Maki

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2005, 12:07:03 PM »
A little late with my report, but I tagged out on my second night out last spring on a 375-400 lb bear, a nice dark chocolate boar. I got a perfect double lung shot at a 13 yards and I watched the bear go down within 25-35 yards. The boar bolted 10-15 yds when first hit then it paused for a few seconds then continued on walking pausing several more times in the next 10-15yds then the bear went behind a spruce and never reappeared. I gave the bear about five minutes (probably not enough time) and after no more movement I climbed down to retrieve my arrow and my bear which was waiting stone dead behind the spruce. The arrow entered just behind the shoulders, missed the ribs on the entry side but nicked one on the exit. The lungs were pretty messed up compared to similar shots I have taken using Thunderhead 100. The shot was a complete pass through and the arrow stuck 1.5 inches into a dried out tamarack (very hard trees when dried).  When I pulled the arrow out of the tree one of the blades was slightly bent not sure if it bent from me pulling it out or from nicking the rib on the exit. So far I am impressed with results from the Steelhead 100. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a well-built mechanical head.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2005, 05:29:42 PM »
congrtas and thanks for the update myself i use muzzy 3 blade 100 grain opens up a good size hole 1 3/16"if im correct which is one of the biggest ive seen also hold up well and easy to replace the blades when they start to dull or change to practive tips and as far as flying better i shoot better with those muzzys then my field points

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2005, 12:47:43 PM »
Spitfire 125's. Fly the same as my field points. Make a hell of a hole too.
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2005, 09:04:35 PM »
I think this is pretty much my first post since I came over from MFF and iceshanty...anyways I love thunderheads...I shoot the 85 grain heads and they fly super true and have never had a problem at all.  Plus the re[placement blades are cheap enough that after one shot (whether a kill or a miss) I replace the blades so that I have virgin blades on for every shot.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2005, 12:14:37 AM »
thunderheads strike again, arrowed another one, and he only went just a little ways maybe 40 or 50 yards, can't wait to get another one.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2005, 12:35:14 PM »
I would have to say muzzy's are the absolute best for performance and durability. you can't beat them.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2005, 02:47:21 PM »
They are good, but how can you say they are the best?  I just got another doe the other night, and that makes two for this season so far with my thunderheads, and a grouse as well. I just can't go wrong with them, they are very tough, and shoot extremely accurate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal