Author Topic: Release Vs. Fingers  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
Re: Release Vs. Fingers
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2004, 10:57:45 PM »
All good points above, but here's something more to think about:

I shoot a release, my brother shoots fingers.  He can't shoot my bow with fingers, no way.  His bow is set up for finger shooting competition.  It all depends on what YOU want to do and what YOU prefer and why you're doing it.

For example, here's an instance where a release is NOT the way to go:  Bowfishing for stingrays in the Chesapeake Bay.  I had a guy demonstrate how he does it and draw speed and quickness are more important than holding for a shot.  I'd imagine that those traditional guys that shoot at birds pretty much would dominate over a finger shooter.  For one single shot that you have time to draw and hold, you can't beat a release.

That's what I shoot when I deer hunt and shoot 3D.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2004, 05:43:27 PM »
releas its the only way to go imo

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2004, 08:49:05 AM »
    I have shot fingers since I started shooting 25 years ago.  I agree that a release is probably a little more accurate at longer distances but I limit my shots to 25 yds max, 95% of the deer I have taken have been at 15 yards or less.   When I get a new bow I may try a release but as others have said it is one more piece of equipment to fail or forget.

Offline Sandman

• Spiked
  • loud pipes save lives
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »
I use fingers when stalking with a recurve but a release with a compound from a stand. I think you can definatley hold longer and steadier with a release. But, a person should shoot the way they feel most comfortable and confident.
I am neither a hunter nor a fisherman. I am a wildlife controller.

Offline Otter

• Nubbie
  • The forest is mine
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2004, 12:29:06 PM »
I shoot with fingers and here are the reasons why:
1.  I'm a good shot, I have won 3D tournaments in the fingers class and I shot better than all the release archers in my group.
2.  My fingers don't make noise when I bump up against my bow.
3.  I've forgotten my shooting glove before, but that didn't prevent me from hunting.
4.  I can stalk, load an arrow, draw faster and cleaner in a pinch.
5.  Strength is not an issue, I'm strong enough to hold my bow back with my fingers.
6.  It feels natural to me and I like it better.
7.  I also shoot a longbow with fingers.

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2005, 01:40:57 AM »
I use to shoot fingers for many years. I made the switch many years ago when I broke my index finger playing softball about 2 weeks before the hunting season started. With a broken finger, it was impossible to hold the string and draw the bow. I bought a release and I could draw the bow with my wrist instead of my hand/fingers. It didnt take long to figure out that the release was much more accurate for me.

As far as a string loop is concerned, someone asked the question if its more accurate than shooting off the string. I believe that it generally is because it gives you true and perfect center shot where shooting off the string does not. It may not make a whole lot of difference but it most certainly should tighten up your groups shooting off a string loop. It is also much simpler and easier to do with a caliper style release than a ball bearing release because the caliper release clips in easier.
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal