Author Topic: Release Vs. Fingers  (Read 10125 times)

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
  • Nothing better than bow season!
Release Vs. Fingers
« on: Aug 13, 2004, 02:48:05 PM »
Who use's a release to shoot and who use's their fingers?  I tried using my fingers last year while I was practicing and I just didn't like it.  I liked shooting with the release better it just felt more comfortable to me.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
Re: Release Vs. Fingers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2004, 03:01:57 PM »
Personally, I prefer to shoot with my fingers...but then again, I've grown up shooting fingers. I guess I could get used to a release, but it would take some getting used to.

-Zach

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2004, 03:05:48 PM »
I like the release,  but more important,  a release is a lot more accurate!!!  When you use fingers,  your string goes an inch out befroe it goes straight.  That would make it very hard to shoot the same way every time.  You MUST shoot the same way every time to be accurate.
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
  • Nothing better than bow season!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2004, 03:12:02 PM »
Yeh I agree with you Mike but if you are good and have shot with your fingers for a while like Zach has I think you can be accurate.  What type of release do you use and do you shoot of the string?  I use a release with ball bearings and I love it and I shoot off of the string not off a loop.  Does shooting off a loop make you more accurate?

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2004, 09:41:03 PM »
I use a loop for 2 reasons;  First,  I have a short bow and the release  (old TM Hunter)  would really pinch the nock.  Second,  My serving would start to seperate for the above reasons.  I don't think the loop really makes much of a difference except that you lose about and inch of draw.  This can cause you to lose some speed.  I am not big on speed,  I like fast, but I am not hung up on it.  Speed causes more errors.  My opinion,  everyone shooting a compound bow should be using a release.
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2004, 05:18:26 PM »
Shooting with a release becomes much more important if you shoot a short axle to axle bow.  The shorter your bow the more nock pinch you will get making accurate finger shooting difficult to impossible.  If you want to shoot fingers stick with axle to axle lengths of greater than 40".  I started shooting fingers and switched to a release.  I feel that I gained accuracy by doing so but do whatever you are most comfortable with.  A release is also another piece of equipment to fail when you need it most.  If your fingers fail you've got some more serious issues to deal with.  ;D

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2004, 02:58:11 PM »
My views will not be PC on this subject.  I agree with all in saying that if you are comfortable shooting fingers,  go for it.  BUT,  if you want to be a more consistant,  better shot,  a release aid is the way to go.  I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE GUYS SHOOTING FINGERS ARE NOT GOOD SHOTS!!!!!!!  I am saying that a good mechanical aid will outshoot fingers every time.  Now for the qualifier,  make sure you are absolutely comfortable with the feel of the release and you are taught the proper way to shoot a release.  This part of the equasion is critical!!  There are tons of gadgets that will help you shoot better,  more consistant groups,  but if you don't learn how to use them properly,  they will not help you at all.  I started shooting a recurve bow instinctively when I was six years old.  When I graduated to a compound bow around 10 or 11,  I was still shooting fingers.  It didn't take me long to change to a release and be a better shot because of it.  This is not because of instinct or comfort,  but a better way mechanically to shoot my bow.  Again,  the key is to get proper instruction and do it the same way every time.  I am not an expert,  but I have done it a long time and I had GREAT teachers.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2004, 09:34:22 PM »

I know guys that shoot fingers and don't use peep sights or pins. They learned to shoot early in life and completely subscribe to the traditional archery form. That is tough to do. A skill I hope to develop over time.

I grew up shooting a recurve, instinctivly. You know, leather 3-fingered shooting gloves, no peep, no pins...and I think that has helped me become a better bowhunter, now that I use a compound with all of the modern bells and whistles. Shooting a recurve is fun, and very challenging. The thing is, unlikea compound bow, you can't draw back and hold...you have to pick your target, come to full draw and release, in a single, smooth motion. Your distance is also very limited, so you have to be very picky about shots. Hunting small game such as squirrels is very good practice. My dad still hunts deer with a recurve, in conjunction with his compound. I highly recommend that everyone try traditional archery, I'm sure you'll love it!

-Zach

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2004, 03:57:20 PM »
I'll try "Traditional" archery for plinking but when its time to get serious the compond comes out and the release goes on.  Its all about accuracy and that is all that matters when talking about hunting!!! 

Steve

Offline bayonne

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2004, 05:47:37 PM »
hey steve im on also i havent shot a recurve in years thinking about getting one for doing some still hunting in some heavy cover places thats were it comes into its own

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2004, 09:43:36 PM »
I used my fingers when I first started to shoot a bow 10 years ago. It wasn't a good bow, and I was a terrible shot.  I started using the cheapest release at wally world and it made my shot better.  I got a little better bow, bear whitetail II, for Christmas from my brother who had bought another bow so he gave me his old one, and my shot improved.  I started using the type that straps to the wrist and is like a gun trigger and my shot drastically improved.  I became a lot more consistent.   I still am not the greatest shot, but I am much better than before.  If a person has good steadiness and good fingers I am sure that finger release is great, but a release, I think, is better for the shaky, jumpy person that wants to bow hunt.
Come on Archery season

Offline bayonne

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2004, 05:10:13 PM »
from a tree stand its release only i to shot finger when i first started bow hunting but if you want to still hunt and have a good shot trad. with no sights is the wat to practice componds arent good for this recurve or long bow you will be suprised how many times a deer jumps upright in front of you and you have 1/2 a chace and your quick with a compond and sight you have no chance

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2004, 09:26:41 AM »
Release only for me. I have shot both, shoot both well. Learned with no peep no sites, etc on a old recurve. I simply prefer a release.

Jon

Offline treed942000

• Forked
  • We're In Training, May We Hunt Well
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:19:30 AM »
Interesting topic, I've done both and I prefer the release for two reasons:

1) It feels natural squeezing the trigger.
2) I've found that I can draw back and hold it a lot longer than if I were to use my fingers.  With the release all the pressure is on my wrist vice my finger tips so when I get that itchy buck coming in I can draw back and hold it longer than I would have been able to with my finger tips.
May the Bird Fly Right,
TReed

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:21:38 AM »
I've had to be a blood hound to many times trying to find Deer that were marginally hit because of one reason or another.  I've found that no matter what you have or use doesn't matter as long as you practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!   If your a shaky or jumpy shooter stick with firearms.  If you cannot spend the time on the range don't bother spending time in the woods.  We as ethical hunters must COMMIT to being the deadliest animal in the woods to ensure a quick and human harvest.  We owe the animals that!!

I can back up what I preach and have only lost 1 Deer since Nov. 95' (the last one)  

Straight shots and short blood trails to all

Steve
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2004, 11:42:13 AM by USMC130FE »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal