Author Topic: Sights  (Read 8454 times)

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
  • Nothing better than bow season!
Sights
« on: Aug 12, 2004, 09:58:55 PM »
What type of sight do you use and how do you like it?  I have one that came with my bow and it is OK but I think there are better ones out there.  I think the Trophy Ridge and the Copper John sights are better than mine.  I talked to the guy at the local shop and he said that the Copper John sight may not be the brightest on the market but he did say that it wouldnt get knoced out of whack just by a little bump.  I think I'll get a Copper John on my new boy after this season unless people here think there is a better sight.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
Re: Sights
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2004, 03:13:22 PM »
I use a single pin sight from Impact Archery. This sight is super bright, due to the fact that it features tritium rather than fiber optics. I also like the simplicity of the single pin sight. I can shoot deer out to 40 yards with it. Very nice indeed.

-Zach

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2004, 09:54:18 PM »
I shoot with one pin now but I would like to use three pin and the Copper John I am looking at is a three pin.  Zach I also like the simplicity of the one pin but I think that if I make one pin for 15 yards one for 25 yards and the third one for 35 yards I wont have to move my bow higher or lower even the smallest bit to hit perfect.  Right now if I shoot at a target 35 yards I have to put the sight up a little higher on the target but if I am shooting 25 yards I put it right on the heart.

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2004, 06:54:16 AM »
I use an ADECO 20mm Red Dot  with a Bracklyn target scope mount. It's a unique system amoung the people I bow hunt with...no-one else has one. Though fairly expensive...scope @ $125...mount at $250...it resolves a problem I developed as I got older and my astigmatism got worse. I had difficulty focusing on a peep/pin/target all together with my variable power eyeglasses.

The mount adjusts in 5 yd increments with a simple dial adjustment. Shooting ACC's at 245fps, I can leave it set at 20 yds and effectively shoot, for hunting purposes, from 5yds to 35 yds. For target and ultimate accuracy I will adjust  based on yardage.

This system allows me to shoot without a peep, using an anchor point and the secondary alignment crosshair on the scope  to detect wrist torque at full draw. It also allows me to shoot with both eyes open giving me a full sight picture...a huge benefit by being able to always watch the arrow to impact.

I'll never go back to pins ;D

RG

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2004, 04:54:44 PM »
The sight I use (don't know the brand off hand) came with five fiber optic pins.  The fiber optics from each pin runs into a small opening containing a lithium power light.  I soon found out that when hunting in very low light conditions (ex. end of shooting hours, overcast, heavy tree cover or all three) that the pins where so bright with the light on that I couldn't see past it to my target well.  It is nice for 3-D shooting on shady courses but that is about all.  Immediatley after installing the sight I removed 2 of the five pins.  5 is just to many. ::)  I will use 3 when target shooting through the course of the summer set at 20, 40, and 60 yards.  Come hunting season I mark and move the 40 and 60 to the bottom of my sight bracket and only use the 20 for hunting purposes.  My bow, although it is quite old shoots the same from 0-23 yards, after that I just hold over.  A top of the back hold on an average buck or large doe will put me right on at 35 yards and that is the limit I set for myself on game.  Everything else in between I estimate hold over and after owning this bow for 13 years I can do so quite well.  With todays flat shooting bows if you had three pins set from 15-40 yards they would be so close together that they would all be on the deer at 20-30 yards.  I like to see as much of my target as possible and watch my arrow impact.  Too many pins make this difficult.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2004, 09:54:25 PM »
Fishboy...True, with 3 pins you can zero in on different distances. But if you have a bow that shoots fast enough, like I do, you don't really have to move the pin too much. I can shoot an arrow from 15 yards and "put it in the 10 ring". Then I can move out to 35 yards, hold on the same spot and place the arrow right next to the first arrow. But I guess that having 3 pins dialed in at different distances does add a sense of security. I suppose that it depends on the shooter.

-Zach

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2004, 10:47:05 AM »
As I shoot every thing PSE my site system is no differant. Fiber PSE site systems.

Bob its interesting you mention the astigmatism as I have a very bad one as well. So far it has not affected me in the peep to great extent. I did enlarge my peep a tad with a drill bit to add a couple hundreths. Your system is one I may have to explore down the road as I get older and presumably this astigmatism and my eyesight in general will get worse.

I also found it interesting that your bow shooting at 245fps can keep a target impact from 5 to 35 yards without adjusting the 20 yard site. What kind of bow do you have? I have never heard of this before where a bow would be that consistant with a 20 pin to produce results from 5 to 35 yards. What kind of group is this producing?

Jon

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2004, 06:42:25 AM »
I have a Copper John "dead Nuts" sight (made right here in Auburn NY).  I have 4 pins on the sight.  The bow is a two year old High Country Four Runner.  I regularly practice at 50 yard with this bow.  The power and speed at 70 lbs with a 125gr head make taking a 40 yd shot a reality.
With my old PSE 25 yds was the max shot I would take with a broadhead.  Under these conditions all I needed was one pin.  The new high end bows have greatly increased the killing range of compound bows and multiple pins are needed out of respect to the animal for a quick clean kill at increased distances.
Eric

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2004, 03:53:10 PM »
Rg, was it quite difficult to get everything set up and sighted in, and how "sturdy" is it for someone that shoots around 75-100 arrows a day 3 or 4 days a week?  Always toyed with the idea of getting that type of set-up.

Steve

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2004, 09:02:20 AM »
I can't remember the brand but we call it an Isreli night sight.  It is a heavy pin with some type of glow in the dark paint on it.  It works great up until the end of legal shooting time.  I have a yellow one for 15 yds and a red set at 30 yards.  I tried a fiber optics before but the one I tried was not very durable.  I have benn very happy with these.

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2004, 10:59:58 AM »
I bought the Trophy Ridge Matrix last year (actually from a BPS gift certificate).  I had my eye on it since it came out.  It's awesome, best site that I ever owned.  It's expensive but the features you get make it worth every penny.  By far, it's the easiest to sight in that I've ever used and micro tuning is sooooo easy - no need for allen wrenches too.  It has 5 fiber optic pins that wrap around the entire sight and are all on the same verticle plane.  It also has a level, and a large circular field of view.  Like I said, it's awesome and durable too.  It also comes with light sticks that are legal artificial light (for Pope and Young purposes) since there is no external power source.  I don't personally use them because the fiber optic pins are so good at gathering light that if I can't see them, I know it's too late to shoot legally.  If I forget my watch, I still know when quitting time is ;)
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2004, 10:03:42 PM »
I have a trophy ridge flatliner 3 pin, came in my bow package, easy to sight in, adjust, awesome sight overall. I can hit the target with a 2 inch grouping or less at 20 yds.
red

Offline Otter

• Nubbie
  • The forest is mine
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2004, 12:30:49 PM »
I just got a Matrix (25% off) and I totally agree.  It is an awesome sight.  Highly visible pins, well protected, easy to adjust.  IMHO, you just cannot beat it.

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2005, 03:19:07 PM »
The Trophy Ridge sights are awesome and I will never use anything else. I also went to a Trophy Ridge drop away rest and it too is awesome. My Trophy Ridge sight is set up with a 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yard pin. I dont really use the 60 yard pin for hunting but will not hesitate to take a 50 yard shot. I can shoot a tennis ball size group at 50 yards with this set up out of a Jennings Buckmaster G2 bow. The Trophy Ridge is also very durable and would be very difficult to knock out of wack by even a moderately hard impact.

Wapati
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2005, 07:23:07 PM »
I bought a Copper John Dead Nuts with my new bow and love it.  It is a strong sight and is really bright.  Much better than the sight on my old bow.  I looked at the Trophy Ridge sights but opted for the Copper John because the owner of the local archery shop I bought the site off of really liked this site and said there was nothing wrong with Trophy Ridge but believe Copper John is very strong and doesnt get moved very easily.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal