Hunting by Game/Technique > Exotics Hunting
Frog legs - New York
(1/3) > >>
DeerReaver:
I was just curious if anyone knows if their are any health advisories for eating frog legs in Western New York?  I know that all turtles are considered inedible due to chemical contamination (PCBs) and I know certain fish have a once per month limit...but I can't find anything about frogs.  I was hoping that someone here might know the answer regarding the safe eating of these critters.
hesseltine32:
I'm not sure the answer but I'd think it would depend what water body you get them from.  Nothing better then fried frog legs!
oneshott:

--- Quote from: hesseltine32 on Aug 20, 2013, 05:17:17 AM ---I'm not sure the answer but I'd think it would depend what water body you get them from.  Nothing better then fried frog legs!

--- End quote ---
Probably depends on what type of frog also/ meaning what it's diet is.  Some are carnivorous, therefore may eat small fish with mercury levels.
jperch:
There are people who eat snapping turtles in NY.  Snappers have a long life span, and are near the top of the food chain.  This gives them the chance to accumulate toxins.  I think frogs, by comparison, are lower on the food chain and have a much shorter life span.  It stands to reason that snapping turtles would potentially be more prone to contamination than frogs.  I believe that toxin levels in snappers are sometimes used to monitor the environment.  The DEC website may have some information on toxin levels, if not you could contact them.  jperch
Raquettedacker:
If its only one or two meals a year I wouldn't worry about it...
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version