Author Topic: Chickahomony WMA Buck  (Read 7582 times)

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
Chickahomony WMA Buck
« on: Nov 29, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »
Went out yesterday.  Got a late start, got the climber settled about 8.  Walked past one other hunter on my way in.  I was surprised there were not more hunters out on a Saturday!  Anyhow.  Lots of activity in the are as there is private property and a hunt club near by, chain saws, hammering.  Anyhow.  at 10:30 I hear a dear running full sprint down a gully near where I walked in.  He stops 10' from my stand to my right.  I was standing and as he passed behind me I swung left and gave a mouth bleat and he stopped under a tree with some light foliage.  I could still see him, brought up the Mossberg 835 and let the 2 3/4" Hornady SST 300 GN sabot loose.  He dropped where he stood.  It was a very small racked 5 point but a trophy anyway.  Got him cleaned, got the climber on my back and started dragging.  A few other hunters in the area also got some deer as I could hear shots near by.  Great day to be in the woods.  Temps got up in the high 60's.  Will post some pics later.
A. White

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Chickahomony WMA Buck
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2015, 02:58:55 PM »
Very cool, I lived in Virginia for close to 7 years...it was different hunting, lots of areas they ran dogs, but there were lots of deer and I saw some big ones...Congrats!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »
Yes lots of dog hunting here, not my thing but to each his own.  Yes lots of deer and there are some flipping big racked deer in VA.  Iv'e seen more huge bucks here then I ever have anywhere else.  Mostly when I am driving to my hunting spot.
A. White

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 05:54:21 AM »
Congratulations on the 5 pt buck.I see you use to be a Maine guide up here. Just closed out rifle with a skunk.Hunting next 2 Saturday's with my muzzleloader.

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
Thanks buckwild.  I am still a guide.  Got my license back when I was in Highschool, did some guiding then and after graduating ..shortly after graduating I joined the CG and have since been AD for over 17 years, while keeping my license current along with keeping my ME residency. Good luck to you during the remainder of the season.
A. White

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »

5 Point buck

Another notch in the old' knife sheath.
A. White

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
Congrats!  I made a trip down to Virginia during muzzoader this season and shot a nice 8 pointer. 

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2015, 07:51:32 PM »
Where abouts in VA?  I like having the muzzleloader season before the general firearms.  The rut corresponds to mid November in eastern VA anyways.  Usually 14-18 Nov is when it ramps up.
A. White

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal