Author Topic: Let me tell you about my evening.....  (Read 14723 times)

halfrack33

Re: Let me tell you about my evening.....
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
Sorry to hear you didn't find the deer. But it does sound like she's still around for sure

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
The tracker gave me credit for calling him to find a doe. He said most people don't bother if its a doe.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2011, 07:43:18 PM »
The tracker gave me credit for calling him to find a doe. He said most people don't bother if its a doe.

Where's Drobs?  Those people need a KTTDD!
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »
I don't get how someone could put less effort into recovering one deer over another. Don't feel bad about not finding the arrow. I had a pass though on my buck last year ten feet from my stand. I looked for the arrow for over ten minutes while it was getting dark.As I gave up and turned to leave it was right next to me against a log  ::). If your arrow hit that soft bog it could be sunk.

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
glad to hear you made it out of the swamp ok! thats scary stuff. sucks about loosing the deer but you put more effort into finding it then most people would. As for the arrow when I shot my coyote I had a full pass through shot and I looked for like 5-10 minutes for that arrow. I eventually found about 20" of the arrow stuck into the ground with only 5 inches sticking out. the arrow snapped and the only part I could find was the broadhead/shaft part. I never found the fletching/knock side which had yellow and orange colors. I look briefly for it every time I walk to my stand and still haven't seen it.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »
Sounds like maybe a skip shot.....Buddy had one like that, we looked for two days for that arrow....We found the deer in 40 yards.... :o So knew the arrow wasn't in it and had to be right in the area.....He went through there to go to another stand three nights later and pushed a branch out of the way to get through.....when it snapped back the arrow fell out of the tree..... ::)
We never looked up.....we were looking on the ground....the thing must have skipped up and was sitting on the branches of the little sapling.... :o :o :o
To bad you didn't find it, but does sound like it's still going fine....

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
I had the a similar thing happen, but I found my deer and arrow, two weeks later, what was left of it in an area that I never checked.  It doubled back on my and I missed when it broke off the blood trail again.  I kept on going in the same direction as the original path of travel, when I cut back and turned off again.  Who knows why.  It was hard to tell where I hit it, but it looked like it was a high shot.  The arrow had a bunch of fat on it.

On the other hand, it could have lived.  My brother shot a buck and nearly sliced his hand open (only a glove) on a broadhead that was lodged in the right ham.  It was encased in a cyst of some sort...weirdest thing I ever saw while butchering a deer.  I was cutting the other ham when I heard him yell out.

Deer are amazing with their will to survive.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline vermonner

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
Look, you never gave up on her and that's the important part.  Noone ever intends to do so, but if you hunt long enough, you will wound game.  Chalk it up to experience.  I went through a similar situation on a bear some years ago, I use it as motivation to hunt as ethically as I can.  You did the right thing and it was just a crappy situation.  Happens.  Good luck the rest of the year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal