Author Topic: Mountain Lion/Cougar New Hampshire.  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Thomas

• Spiked
Mountain Lion/Cougar New Hampshire.
« on: Aug 18, 2007, 06:28:34 AM »
Morning Gentlemen.
Seems the state of New Hampshire has made it clear w/out a doubt that mountain lions/cougars do not excess in the state.

Just last weekend full size horse was attack and had to be put down in Whitefield,NH,NH F&G saying it might have been a bear but no proof it was a cat of any sort,WMUR9 News show paw rakings plus the bites marks on the horse...raking and bite marks just don't add up,for either it was old old bear or young bear on it's first kill w/out a clue...no signs of the attacker tracker to be found....hmmmm.

Long time natives also men and women that work the woods for a living plus sportmen have come forward over the years saying the have seen a cat w/long tail,but our state still says "NO CATS" and haven't been a cats over 100 years...okay I am little puzzle here,VT & ME & Can. have just about said in so many words the big cats do roam there states now,soooo what does NH need for proof...vehicle vs cat/cat attacks hiker...or could it be if the state of NH does admit the big cat indeed roaming in the state it might cause panic,for the White Mountain Forest well known for tourist...hikers,campers,leave peepers etc..which might cause the state loss $$$$'s from the tourist???

Looking forward to your imputes gentlemen.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
Re: Mountain Lion/Cougar New Hampshire.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2007, 08:45:25 PM »
Im in Vt.  Our state wardens will denie there being any here. They have also said for years there were no lynx here even though there are a couple people who have one on video. A Nh biologist found a set of lynx tracks here while deer hunting last fall. Now the state officials say lynx roam the state.lol  All that needs to happen for you is for state officials to find tracks or better yet be attacked by a mountain lion. you can bet the state will make it a big deal then. I guess they think the general public to be liars..??
Good luck with it all thomas.

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2007, 04:38:30 AM »
Do you have a link to the story.

People are always claiming sightings, kills, etc. and saying mountain lion.  It seems like no one can ever find scat, hair, or anything else to prove their existence.

My take: there are no mountain lions in NH.

Offline Thomas

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2007, 06:23:55 AM »
Morning JD540.
There been heck of a lot more sighting in VT than NH,last ones Norwich & Bradford...but than again VT has much larger food compare to NH..whitetail herd.

Sure hope it does come to a cat attack...yikes.

Offline Thomas

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2007, 06:42:25 AM »
Morning Tom.
Best link I could come up with.... http://www.wmur.com/news/13882811/detail.html

I feel there are so few in our state willing to take the time to get the proof...Rte 16 Errol,NH into Maine seems to be hot spot for cat sighting of late...kinda wish I had the means of sending time up there.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:04:24 AM »
NY denies they exist in our state too.  Even though many people have seen them, their track, and their damage.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Alleged cat sighting in Oakland Maine.....evidence gathered......hair samples sent to lab........results in....... hair belongs to red fox.
 which look a lot like cougars...... if you drink like the good folks in Oakland ;D
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »
Alleged cat sighting in Oakland Maine.....evidence gathered......hair samples sent to lab........results in....... hair belongs to red fox.
 which look a lot like cougars...... if you drink like the good folks in Oakland ;D
LMAO  Good point slt.   Im not saying that there is not or was not a lion in new england but i feel it to be highly unlikely. A deer, a mangy coyote with no hair on its tail, or in oaklands case a red fox{lol} could easily be mistaken for a mountain lion in the dark or in low light. Many here have spoke of seeing black panthers. Again more than likely a bear or a big male fisher cat. who knows but if someone was attack and one was shot in self defense we would know for sure. No wait! Dont shoot one or you might get locked in jail by the state and antis. Maybe we better just let it kill us.lol

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2007, 05:54:13 PM »
there have been sightings in ny but the DEC says there isn't any in the state and it couldn't have possibly been a mountain lion. well i say bull that many people have seen them there must be some someplace and as for wolves there are wolves in NY i know the difference between a wolf and a coyote and believe me it was a wolf. Thats what happens when the state introduces something before and if they let the public know. They just cover it all up by saying it was a case of mistaken identity

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal