Author Topic: Fragmenting bullets  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Nubbie
Fragmenting bullets
« on: Sep 27, 2007, 11:49:02 AM »
I just returned from the range after sighting in a new scope on my gun. I have a Savage 111 in .270 .  While shooting I had two bullets break up in flight. There are no weeds or anything between me and the target. One was with a reload- 55gr, Reloader 19 and a Combined Technology 150gr ballistic tip and the second was with a new factory Winchester SuperX. Both left a pattern approx. 2 1/2" with large pieces and smaller dust. It is a new gun that I broke in by shooting once and cleaning each time for 5 shots. Then 2 shots and a cleaning 5 times, Now I'm shooting 5 shots then cleaning. Does anyone have any ideas on what may have caused this? The gun shoots very well, 5 shot group of 1 1/4" off a bench at 100yds. I've put approx. 60 rounds through the gun so far without a problem until today. Thanks for any help.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Fragmenting bullets
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2007, 06:47:18 AM »
I have the same gun. I found that shooting remington corelock 130 grain psp  shoot the flatest, most accurate, and do not break up in flight.

Your bullets could have been defective.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Nubbie
Re: Fragmenting bullets
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2007, 06:59:25 AM »
Well, I found out what happened. It turns out that it wasn't the bullets breaking up in flight, but it was from the bullets hitting the cross bar that we hang the targets on. In my panic over a possible problem with a new gun I never noticed that the fragments came from the back of the target. When I saw this I went up to the club with a flashlight in the rain to look at things. Sure enough where I hang the targets there were two bullet marks on the cross supports for hanging the targets. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't see this sooner. At least now I know it wasn't a problem with the gun or reloads. To adkRoy, As I was typing the second post, I saw you had replied to my thread, Thanks for your answer, Bob G.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2007, 08:07:02 PM by Doubles Shooter »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal