Author Topic: Message from Senator Schumer  (Read 718 times)

Offline howesfc

• 8 Pointer
Message from Senator Schumer
« on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »

Dear Mr. Howe:

Thank you for writing to voice your opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban. Like you, I believe that the right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution’s Second Amendment. The recent Supreme Court decisions reinforced this fact, but I believed that this was the case prior to those decisions.

While the right to bear arms is enshrined by the Second Amendment to the Constitution, I believe that we have a collective interest in keeping guns out of the hands of those who want to harm the innocent.  I believe it is possible to strike a reasonable balance.  I have long advocated for faster and more accurate background checks so legal purchasers can receive their guns quickly while ensuring criminals do not illegally purchase and possess firearms. In 2011, I proposed S. 436, the Fix Gun Checks Act to provide more funding to states to compile required background data for the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).  This legislation builds on the National Rifle Association-supported NICS Improvements Amendment Act, passed by Congress in 2007.  Ensuring that this information is comprehensive and up to date will protect law enforcement from criminals with illegally obtained weapons while speeding up the process for law abiding citizens. 

You may also be pleased to know that I have successfully fought to create new opportunities for gun owners to exercise their right to use guns. For example, in the 109th Congress, I secured federal money to expand the scarce hunting grounds in New York State by creating a financial incentive for private landowners to allow hunters access to their property.

Thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can ever be of assistance to you on this, or any other matter.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator

Please do not respond to this email.  To send another message please visit my website at https://schumer.senate.gov/Contact/contact_chuck.cfm  . Thank you.
I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier. 11B40 Scout NYARNG RET.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Message from Senator Schumer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
I received the same form letter..... ::) ::) ::)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D   Me to....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »
I did too.  No mention of how he stands on the gun grab though.  Wonder why...   >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal