Author Topic: Bow Bear Down  (Read 7200 times)

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
Re: Bow Bear Down
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
WOW, what an achievement - Kudos!!!
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »
Congrats Captain!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2012, 07:23:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. It was pretty thrilling but it happened pretty fast, it was over in a couple minutes.

There have been quite a few bear sightings in the area, very little mast in the woods has them closer to people looking for food; plus I think the population is growing. For the past couple weeks I kept hearing about them being seen behind houses and getting into garbage, piecing the sightings together I had been hearing about the last few days I figured they were headed North. I have been really to get some venison for the freezer and maybe a nice buck, but always thought about the possiblity of running into a bear.

Yesterday afternoon I headed further North to a spot that always hold some deer and where I saw turkey scratchings when pulling a cam last week. Got out of the truck, walked into the woods a few steps and saw a few turkeys running away NW; I had planned to head SW but decided to still hunt the way they went, might run into them, 4:00pm. I slowly eased my way up the hill, never saw the birds again. Not much happening and the wind was shifting back and forth, but mostly from the NW. At 5:45 my cell phone rang once before I pushed the button to stop it; had it on full volume from working yesterday, forgot to put it on vibrate. ::) 5 minutes later the message came through, looks like I have charter next weekend. 8) Went back to hunting and eased forward little by little.

Around 6:00, I heard leaves rustling behind me to the left(downwind ;)) and slowly turned to look, my brain saw two people walking toward me; I immediately thought and adult with a youth hunter?? They didn't see my truck?? Why are they wearing black?? No that's a bear standing on it's hind legs, less than 40 yds away; next thing I know it's headed right at me, I see 2 of them, first one is a little bigger. They are behind two large trees and I drop to my knees and attach my release. I look up and she is looking around the tree, I draw and lean around the tree to get a shot at the vitals. Put the pin on her front shoulder and next thing I knew she was running off with my arrow sticking out; she went 30 yards and was down in sight less than 50 yards away. It was all over in less than 2 minutes. Turns out there were 3 of them, 2 larger cubs both climbed trees 40 yds away.

Red arrow is path on approach; red X is where shot; yellow arrow is path after shot to black blob in the red circle(can't tell in pic but I saw her go down clearly, it was pretty open):

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2012, 07:29:30 AM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
The NAP Nitrons get the job done again, down in sight:

ASAT 3D camo is awesome for still hunting:

Did a little photo editing, tried to brighten it up a little:
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2012, 08:09:23 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »
Truly awesome!!  Some bear steaks for ice fishing this winter!! The clients will love it!
Thanks for sharing this great moment in your bow hunting career!!

That front quartering shot is very effective....no matter what the nay say.... ;)

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »
That is great! Congrats

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »
That is phenomenal that you got it from the ground on a stalk AND with a bow!!  :o You da man!!  8)  We have a bear kicking around my new house, well actually the next road over, but it's not any more then a half mile away.  I would love to try hunting it this fall.  That would fill my Maine Big Game card. Again, Congrats Man on a Great Kill!!!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »
Fantastic! Way to get it done CaptJJ congrats.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:18:44 AM »

Awesome recap of the hunt, as I said before congrats on the hunt. ;D

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2012, 08:49:07 AM »
way to go jj thats fantastic!!
Take a Kid outside...

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
great job ,beautiful looking pictures you are the man congrats
no information

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »
Thanks again all. 8)

Getting ready to skin her out. Not sure if I want another rug; thinking about a full mount, standing like I first spotted her; or maybe a head mount. :-\

Here's a pic of the entrance wound, those tiny Nitrons make quite a hole and penetrate deep:
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
Congratulations Jeff.....That is an awesome story. 8)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline jager61

• Forked
  • Waidmannsheil!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
Congratulations Jeff! That's quite an accomplishment! Very happy for you!

Mike

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Oct 07, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
now theres a story thats gonna stick around for a while ;D  very cool jj congratulations!   so will you be the provider of the  bear dish for the 2013 icefishing hoopla?
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal