Author Topic: Deer sightings southern tier More or Less than 08 ???????  (Read 6908 times)

Offline mcully

• Forked
Re: Deer sightings southern tier More or Less than 08 ???????
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
Hunted for about 20 days straight, all day for 10 of them and either morning afternoon or both of the others. Bow season was great for seeing many deer including some really nice bucks this year but the gun season so far has been tough. Shot a doe opening day and a nice 2.5 year old 8 point first Tuesday of gun both deer at 10:30am. Between two of us last week it was the only buck sighted and only a hanful of does sighted in an area with 1000 acres of posted no hunting property right next to us. I'm sure if we get some snow the tracks will drive us nuts. Hope they start moving better during late muzzle loader.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »
I went hunting this morning seen a couple doe.Drove around the hill afterwards and come along a truck parked along the road and looked in the field and there was around 8 deer running and stopping.Wasnt sure but thought I seen small horns on 2,hunter didnt shoot though... :-\

So I think there all grouped up for safety and wont move unless bumped from there beds?????We havent drove this year cause there is only 2 of us hunting here,other one went to college.So I should have less pressured deer and just gonna sit it out,hope for a big one!!!! 8)

Offline crazyhorse

• Nubbie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
I hunt mostly state land in 3H & 4W and have seen more deer sign than in the last few years.  Got a 5 pt. with the bow and a real nice 6 pt. opening day with the rifle.  Activity seems to be way down which would be obvious with warm weather.  No complaints on this end, preseason scouting really pays off and puts you in the areas you should be hunting when the season comes around. Good luck to all. :D

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
Over Half the jobs I do are in the souther zone,Montgomery,saratoga and Herkimer Counties,i'm out in the woods everyday or at Old farms---I haven't seen many at all compared to some years.the fields are empty and not much sign,and beleive me when I'm working i'm always looking for sign and animals.I very rearly have a gun with me too when i'm working ,when I do see a big buck when i'm working I think it's a plus for the day and many times i've seen some awsome bucks.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
Is there any way that someone could post a map of DMP areas in NY here ???so I don't have to pull it out of the gun cabnet and look everyday-- ???

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »
Here you go Joe.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
Been huntin alot in 5R and once in 4F. i've seen 11 deer all does except for one spike with about 4 inch spikes that i passed on. Just now starting to fill my doe tags. Hope it isnt too late. Saw alot more deer in 08 but the season aint over yet.

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2009, 05:34:55 PM »
i don't hunt in the south but here in 5h near johnsburg i haven't seen a deer in day light since rifle season started,i have heard a few near my stand at about 5:30am when its still pitch dark,every one i talk to around says there not seeing the deer like usual
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:11:59 PM »
Where are you in 5R Stuck? I hunt off 147.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »
Why is 7S yellow,thats where I hunt....... ???

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »
"Creation of new WMU 7P from southeast portion of 7M and northeast portion of 7S    
Chenango & Broome counties    
Divide WMU 7M into two units to address deer hunting pressure and create flexibility for bear management; DMPs for former portions of 7M and 7S now in 7P"

From DEC website about the new changes to WMUs, here's a link.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/52913.html

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »
Go 7A, 6K and 7R...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
Yep just opened bear season here last season in 7S,rather buy a Mega millions and think I would win before I hope to score 1 of them though!!!! ;D

Offline Bueny Hunter

• Nubbie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
I hunt 8T also , opening morning seen 5 does and a small buck total, 2nd day another small buck and 3 does, passed on both small bucks to give thme more time to grow racks.  1st Monday 4 does of which I filled a tag with the biggest one. My father has hunted every day and has seen 1 deer all season. We have taken a couple rain days off. Other than that because of work we hunting mostly in the afternoon. Not hearing alot of shots either.
Hopefullly it picks up with the cold temps coming.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
I really think the Coyotes are scoring as many as the hunters these days,and the DMP allotments are way to high!!!!!Put a bounty on coyotes again,will help deer out IMO..... ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2009, 10:22:12 PM by Corporal Punishment »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal