Author Topic: mountain lion & deer  (Read 7076 times)

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
Re: mountain lion & deer
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »
if i run inot a wolf or mountian lion in the mountains of essex county,i am thinking thats pretty cool. i f i see one as two people i know claim,outside of brockport  75 yds from my kids swingset? yeah. i think it would get piece of hot lead. there has only been one confirmed unprovoked attack by wolves in north america that i have been told many times. not so with cougars. so if it comes down to safety of humans or a great big kitty, well i would have to side with the little kid and waste the rogue lion. i guess the good thing  so far is that these cats have been well fed.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
Maybe they should reintroduce Elk to NY to feed all these Mt.Lions...But then again people exterminated all the Elk and Moose just like the Wolfs and Mt.Lions... ::) ::)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline timk

• Nubbie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
Maybe they should reintroduce Elk to NY to feed all these Mt.Lions...But then again people exterminated all the Elk and Moose just like the Wolfs and Mt.Lions... ::) ::)

Your ancestors did that for your benefit dontyaknow.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
nice 2 see you here AJ. i have seen that pic also. i have heard of sightings from all over the state by some reliable people. the state seems to deny that there is a sizable reproducing populaton but wont deny that dumbasses with exotic cats dont release them. you would think one would end up dead eventually. i would and will shoot one if its close to residences and will take the fine to get that thing out of there and dont you fanatics tell me i will end up in jail,blah blah blha. you get slapped on the wrist for violations in nys. i dont advocate poaching or anything like that but those things are nasty to the local deer heard domestic animals and out west to humans!
If you did shoot a cougar it would be a Federal offense, doesn't matter, they aren't here.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:29:17 PM »
ya know. i thought about that... federally protected after my post. on the otherhand, i have doubted every report, but they are becoming so damn numerous and from friends... i dont believe in conspiracies but i do believe in exotic pets being released. cmon jj your a north country guy.. you dont believe in the whitehall big foot i guess.lol

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
Now the Whitehall Bigfoot has to be true, all those eye witnesses went on Monster Quest and said they saw it..They all cant be making up stories, can they.. ::)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:36:48 PM »
well those cops i dont believe , but those 20 yr old kids making out smokin weed and driniking milwakees best are legit."ya know,we were like hanging out ya know and like we saw this big hairy thing like totally freaked out,ya know". lol.they did do an episode on nys big cats but they were black cats. every native of the backwoods of essex county where my wife grew up has a story and they are drug free people. i dont know what 2 believe anymore. i do believe i will a crack cold one, rock my son 2 sleep and watch drury big bucks video. ::)
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2009, 10:00:05 PM by iceplank »

FrankM

« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2009, 10:06:44 AM »
Timk I did not say I wanted mountain lions wiped out.  I said they have their place in wilderness areas.  If somebody releases a cougar here in WNY i believe it would be wrong and if I saw it while I was hunting I would shoot it.   Most of NY state is not a wilderness area and therefore it is not practical for humans and cougars to coexist there.  I sincerely doubt that the DEC would be foolish enough to try to reintroduce these predators to this state.  I think these cougar sightings are beer induced or possibly some fool releasing a pet he shouldn't have had in the first place.

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »
Like Pyle said,
1) this pic was taken in South Texas (says it right in the article)
2) Saratoga County has no Vermont Borders
3) There is a feeder in the pic (we all know it's illegal to feed deer in NY)

I'm not doubting the existence of Mt Lions in NY, but like it was also brought up, I believe we will find most of these are released captives that shouldn't have been here in the first place. The deer herd in my area has taken a severe nose dive in the last 4 or 5 years and I think I would be hard pressed to let one of these kitty's or a wolf walk by me. The herd in my area could in no way sustain a Mt. lion or a pack of wolves without livestock & possibly humans becoming part of the diet.

Offline Mentiply

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »
We go round and round every so often about Mt. Lions in NYS and I just can't believe with the number of people we have in the woods that one would not have been shot or hit by a car. I think a lot of people see a bobcat and think Mt. Lion.

Offline aj454

• Forked
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »
I think you can tell the differance between a mountain lion and a bob cat. One has a long tail with a big body the other small body shorter tail. Smaller pointy ears also. What ya think????????

Offline nick733

• Nubbie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »
......i miss the west coast......go navy

Offline Mentiply

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:10:50 PM »
I think you can tell the differance between a mountain lion and a bob cat. One has a long tail with a big body the other small body shorter tail. Smaller pointy ears also. What ya think????????

Tell that too the guy from the city who see a donkey and calls it a deer. ;D

Offline Buckseeker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
......i miss the west coast......go navy
I am not sure if I understand the context of this statement, but if you miss the west coast that bad why are you reading and making posts on a NY forum?

halfrack33

« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »
mountain lion was hit by a car in essex county 2 days ago. it was in the times union with pictures... anyone see this?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal