Author Topic: Wear your Orange!!!!  (Read 7192 times)

Offline gump

• 6 Pointer
Re: Wear your Orange!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »
From the D & C (Rochetser)

Geneseo hunter fatally shot; mistaken for deer

Stephanie Veale
Staff writer

(December 3, 2007) — The day before hunter Brandon D. Haugh died, he and his wife, Lisa, found out they were expecting their third child, a family member said.

Haugh, 30, of Geneseo, Livingston County, was fatally shot Saturday morning while hunting in Allegany County, according to State Police.

Haugh and four companions were hunting deer west of Higgins Hill Road in the town of Almond, police said.

About 8:55 a.m., another hunter, whose identity was not immediately released and who was not part of Haugh's group, fired at what he thought was a deer, police said.

The round struck Haugh near the neck, instantly killing him, police said.

A number of questions about Haugh's case remained unanswered Sunday night, including whether Haugh was wearing the appropriate safety gear, whether any charges are expected to be filed and the name of the person who shot Haugh.

The victim's family preferred not to discuss the details of the incident, they said.

Along with his wife and unborn child, Haugh leaves behind a 10-year-old son and a 20-month-old daughter, said his brother-in-law Dan Nelson of Caledonia.

Haugh was a family man who loved spending time outdoors, said Nelson, who'd been a friend of Haugh his whole life.

Nelson knew Haugh for years before he married Haugh's sister, Stephanie Haugh Nelson.

"He liked to have fun, but he liked to take care of his family and worked hard at it," Nelson said.

Haugh was an avid, experienced hunter, Nelson said, and he also enjoyed skiing, snowboarding and riding motorcycles.

He worked in the flooring business, Nelson said.

When Haugh broke the news about the baby to Nelson on Friday, he was very excited, Nelson said. Haugh articulated his feelings by telling Nelson to "think of the most exciting thing you can, and multiply that by 10," Nelson recalled.

"He was just the kind of guy who was always the life of the gathering," Nelson said.

"Always the funny one, always livened up a room. He was awesome to be with."

Haugh was pronounced dead at the scene of Saturday's incident by Allegany County Coroner Ted Crowell, police said.

The State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the police unit with the state Department of Environmental Conservation are investigating the incident.

Calling hours for Haugh will take place from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Stephenson-Dougherty Funeral Home, 350 Genesee St., Avon.

The funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 5590 Lake Road, Avon.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:28:09 AM »
I'm guessing he wasn't wearing any orange. Another tragedy that could have been prevented.  :'(
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline adirondackrick

• Nubbie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:14:28 PM »
safety first and foremost!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Nubbie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:54:37 AM »
The hunter from Geneseo was wearing orange. I don't care if the victim was wearing Carharts and crawling on all fours, he still doesn't look like a deer. It is a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Offline Jackie Bushman

• Nubbie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
(Webster, NY, December 13, 2007) - - Charges are being filed in the death of a hunter shot in Allegany County.

38 year old John Gisel of Webster, NY, is facing second degree manslaughter charges in the death of Brandon Haugh. Investigators say Gisel was hunting in the Town of Almond when he fired a shot that hit Haugh in the neck killing him instanly.

Offline deerme117

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:31:40 PM »
Hunter charged in shooting death

TOWN OF ALMOND, N.Y. (AP) -- A 38-year-old hunter accused of firing when he could not see his target clearly has been charged with second-degree manslaughter in the death of another hunter in western New York.
Brandon Haugh, 30, of Geneseo was hunting with a group when John Gisel mistook him for a deer and shot him in the neck on Dec. 1, state police said. Haugh died instantly.

Gisel, of Webster, was arrested Wednesday by troopers, arraigned in Almond Town Court and released on his own recognizance, Allegany County District Attorney Terrence Parker said. Gisel was hunting with another group and shot Haugh with a single round from a rifle, he said.

"From the facts, he didn't know that Mr. Haugh was there," Parker said. "Certainly the circumstances warrant the charge because there was insufficient visibility for any shooter to identify the target they were shooting at. Shooting at perceived movement or sound without being able to identify one's target is a reckless act."

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2007, 06:27:28 AM »
I hope they lock him up. That's totally inexcusable.  >:(
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »
Shot while wearing orange .... >:(  HOW ????

Should be definite murder charges brought up but I'm sure it will only be manslaughter...

Did I call that one or what?  If he was wering orange I still think it should be murder, not manslaughter.

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »
that scares the life out of me because that is the area that I hunt.
I believe he deserves what he and so many others have done this and other years
there is no excuse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stay safe everyone

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »
i don't normally where orange but if i do i wear a hat or one of those vest that you cam put on over your jacket

halfrack33

« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
i don't normally where orange but if i do i wear a hat or one of those vest that you cam put on over your jacket

Neither do I usually. I hunt on land that nobody else is supposed to be hunting on; thats the main reason but last year i saw two guys walk right under my stand and all around the field scaring deer away they couldn't see. I waved at them to let them know i was there and tried to get their attention but nothing. I guess i felt like i didn't need orange since i was in a tree but from then on the orange cap has been on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal