Author Topic: Wear your Orange!!!!  (Read 7193 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Wear your Orange!!!!
« on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:19:43 AM »
This year there seems to be a high amount of hunters being "accidently shot". Some have been killed and other injured seriously. In all cases they were not wearing blaze orange or blaze camo!  I know people should identify their targets before they shoot but there are just too many trigger happy yahoos out there. SO for your own saftey sake, please wear some blaze orange! I don't want to hear about any more hunting accidents. Thank you.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline northwoodsaddict

• 6 Pointer
Re: Wear your Orange!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:41:36 AM »
will do roy...its just common sense guys
IceShanty=brookiebomber477

Offline snelly

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:15:03 AM »
great advise today people are useing so many different hunting tactics like decoys and grunting , rattling that someone out there is going to mistake them for a deer alittle blaze orange will go a long way in preventing these kind of accidents. Again great advise ADKROY with this little reminder you may have saved someone's life

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »
No matter what tactics you use NO HUMAN looks like a deer.Its that simple ! If you don't know your target don't shoot.If anyone was to shoot another they should be treated as any other criminal.I am not saying don't wear orange just saying know your target.BB

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »
Latest incident in otsego county involved a guy shooting at a running deer and he didn't see the guy standing in full camoflage 150 feet away. Maybe if he had orange on it would have saved him.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »
Kinda scary. I feel better hitting the pinebush area getting back with the bow today. Some of my students hunt like they drive their cars, reckless.Their stories are frightening going through a box of shells on a running animal with no regard to what is beyond!!!! :o :P

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:57:32 AM »
Latest incident in otsego county involved a guy shooting at a running deer and he didn't see the guy standing in full camoflage 150 feet away. Maybe if he had orange on it would have saved him.

Read in tha paper that he was arrested for the shooting and also illegally taking a deer. The paper said he fired three shots and hit the deer but it kept running & he kept shooting striking the second hunter. No business in the woods at all....

FrankM

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2007, 02:50:23 PM »
You need to make sure of your target and beyond.  Nitwits that wear full camo with no orange make it difficult for their fellow hunters to spot them.  I have no trouble identifying a deer but I might have trouble seeing a guy in full camo 100 yds downrange from the deer.  I hunt in full camo during archery but come gun season I put an orange vest and an orange hat on top of the camo.  It is only common sense and common courtesy to have enough orange on for other hunters to see you.  These "accidents" make us all look like idiots.  There have been 4 fatal shootings during this hunting season in NY and every one of them was preventable.  Wear your orange.  When in doubt, don't shoot.  Unload your gun and use a rope to haul it up when using a tree stand.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »
Roy, where in Otsego County was it?  That's where my land is....

-Zach

Offline Red

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2007, 05:21:43 AM »
Only time I don't wear orange is archery - I guess I could still get away with wearing no orange even now because there are no firearms allowed in the city where I hunt -  but you never know who else is out there and not abiding by the law.  I will be wearing orange when I go out for sure.  Just common sense really...

Offline snelly

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:54:14 AM »
the lasted incident in otsego co. I personally know family members of both party's involved. All these people are good people. they made some really bad mistakes out there. You have a father that allowed is son to break the law by shooting an illegal deer, you have another youth that was shot and didn't have a license (who knows if he even took a hunters training course) And no orange on any of them You have people in the woods that haven't had a safety course in 40yrs. Maybe when a youth takes a hunter's safety course the legal gaurdian of that child should be required to take the course also, And maybe there should be a refresher course offered for people already holding a license. every hunter out there has the responsiblilty of keeping himself safe, but also as hunter's we are responsible for making it safe for our fellow hunters. When I heard this incident I took alittle self evaluation, Am I doing everything I can do to make sure I'm safe and everyone around me is safe too? I think I am. Everytime I hear of something like this. It makes me wonder if the safest thing I could do for my child is not take them hunting, But I know that's not the answer either. 

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:19:42 AM »
Roy, where in Otsego County was it?  That's where my land is....

-Zach

It didn't say just said otsego county in our local paper.  :-\

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »
I have no problem with refresher courses and maybe that is one step in making sure that more people are safe.  I know that these "accidents" were all preventable.  I was in the woods this weekend on State Land and to tell you the truth it make me a little uneasy at times because there are so many people out there that shoot at sound and do not recognize their target.  It seems that the majority of the people on this site realize the importance of safety, now we need to reach those that are not getting the hint.  One place to start is with our own children.  We need to put the knowledge in their heads and beat it in.  They are the ones that will change this growing trend or "hunting accidents".   
Once a round is fired it can not be taken back and God forbid that round hits another person "by accident"  Please everyone be safe out there

Offline Jackie Bushman

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:08:55 PM »
This unfortunate accident happened within a couple of miles from where I was this weekend. The victim had a lot of orange on. He had just radioed that he saw someone near him and one of the guys mentioned there were others in the area not with their group. He was shoot with a scoped .30-06 .. how is that possible ?

Geneseo man killed by hunter in another party

ALMOND … State Police are investigating the death of a Geneseo man who was shot to death by a friend on a hunting trip over the weekend.

Brandon Haugh was hunting with a group of four other people when another hunter, not in Haugh's group, mistook Haugh for a deer and shot him in the neck, state police said. He died instantly.

Police have not identified the shooter.

The Monroe County Medical Examiner's office performed an autopsy. Results were not immediately available.

State Police and New York State Environmental Conservation Police are still investigating the incident.

Allegany County District Attorney Terrence Parker will review investigation results to determine whether charges are possible.

The Town of Almond is about 65 miles south of Rochester.

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »
Shot while wearing orange .... >:(  HOW ????

Should be definite murder charges brought up but I'm sure it will only be manslaughter...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal