Author Topic: Coyotes  (Read 4324 times)

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
Coyotes
« on: Jul 31, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »
 What is the coyote population like in your neck of the woods? Do you shoot everyone you see?

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:14:46 PM »
well, i just moved to the buffalo area, but was raised and always hunted allegany and cattaraugus counties, the coyotes are pretty numerous down that way, i have shot a few, but not every one i have seen :-\ i do feel they are a nuciance, but also a necessary part of the ecosystem :-\ but they seem to be getting a little out of contol in some areas ???

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2007, 07:21:35 AM »
They are out of control in my area. They have been decimating the dairy farmers new born calves. 
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2007, 06:18:04 PM »
They are out of control in my area. They have been decimating the dairy farmers new born calves. 
  The same goes for my area, I used to get requests from farmers to shoot wood chucks,      now its coyotes and geese.
     I try to shoot every one but seems that I see them when I have no gun [ or not enough gun]. Two years ago I was hunting for woodcock w/ my dog squirt [ a German short hair] walking in a small valley along a winding stream , squirt turned ,came running by me real fast ;  I was shocked to see two coyotes coming right behind her .   They ran up to me [ about 15' away] { it was also waist deep grass  , but I was on a deer trail.} I just lifted my gun to my hip and fired , I had a 12ga. w/ 7 1/2 shot low brass.
  I thought I scared them away but after a little walking around, I found one hit in the face and unable to see or breath. I found it by the sound of gurgling breaths.   
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2007, 06:32:00 PM by the wizard »
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2007, 07:41:38 PM »
kill them all

Offline producetim

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2007, 08:55:08 PM »
shoot, shoot,shoot,reload and shoot again

Offline Ethan.

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2007, 09:46:10 AM »
were i live they are way out of control u shoot every one u see,this year ive had a couple of people that i dont really talk to come up to me and ask me to take care of the varmits on there property
The Beast Is Dead Long Live The Beast

Wack em and stack em

FrankM

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2007, 09:23:13 AM »
I say shoot them when you get the opportunity.  15 years ago there were coyotes in the Southern Tier but they were not a that much of a problem.  Now if you shoot a deer you better stay on the trail and recover it because if you dont find it the coyotes will and there won't be much left next morning.  You used to be able to wait and pick up the trail next morning.  If any of my group shoots a deer late in the day and we don't find it by dark, we go back to camp, put the guns or bows away and come back out with flashlights and keep tracking until we find him.   I have tried several times to get a shot at coyotes that I have observed sneaking along woods edges following does as they fed in fields.  As soon as I would try to point the gun they would spot me and take off. They are smart and sneaky and more wary than deer. I think coyote hunting as a sport by itself should be encouraged. 

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
We got a big problem with em here in oneida county.There getting in the calve pens and killing them.Chickens come up missing all the time too.Shootem all
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2007, 05:07:46 AM »
I wonder if NY will soon go the same route as PA - open season year round on coyotes.

I know guys in PA do very well in the spring after they have their young.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2007, 09:48:18 AM »
Any suggestions on a good call.  I've been told the electronic calls work great.

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »
they are out of control in the syracuse area and in Allegany Co. where we have a camp.  Its a sport that my friends and I are starting to get into.  We are starting to spend as much time preparing to hunt coyotes as much as we do for deer.

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »
 Lewis County is teaming with them. Every time I am up there at my hunting camp, I hear a pack or two.

Offline deerme117

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:47:11 PM »
Broome County, NY has to many coyotes , a few years ago I had to chase them away at night from the deer I had hanging high in a tree. This year while fishing at night on several occasions there were so many howling I felt like I was surrounded by them. Gets you kind of nervous.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal