Author Topic: Pine bush preserve  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Saratoga Leo

• Nubbie
Pine bush preserve
« on: Apr 18, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »
Does anyone here bow hunt the pine bush preserve?  I know it is broken down into parcels for hunting and wanted to know if one parcel is better then another.  We found private access to one parcel off of Karner Rd.  We scouted it 1 time and came out with so many ticks on us and saw so little deer sign we didnt go back.  I talked to one of the men in charge of preserve who answers questions on hunting.  He said the preserve is over-run with deer and in desperate need of more hunters.  Some have said there are trophy deer in the preserve but we have never talked to anyone who hunts it.  After scouting the parcel off of Karner road with little sign of deer and the overwhelming amount of ticks we gave up last year and hunted our usual spots.  Is this place as good as they say or just certain parcels of the preserve? 
I love animals!  There so tasty.

Offline irishjigger

• Spiked
  • Walk Me Out In The Mornin Dew ...
Re: Pine bush preserve
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
Saratoga , Ive have hunted it , for spring turkey ! It is exactly like you said , I get the HeBeJebbies every time I think about all the ticks I had on myself . They are awful , but I do know of some extremely large bucks that have come from that area ! It is worth a shot , but maybe later in the season , after a killing frost ?
Official Wine Maker of Deer Run Hunting Camp! "IF YOU GET ONE , WE GET SOME!"

GUT DEER !

Offline Saratoga Leo

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »
Are the deer numbers overwhelming like i been told and from your experience?  What section(s) of the the pine bush preserve do you hunt irishjigger?  Thanks!
I love animals!  There so tasty.

Offline BSIM2145

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »
I LIVE ABOUT 1 MILE FROM THE KARNER RD SECTION, AND EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT SHOT ANY DEER YET, IVE SEEN DEER ALMOST EVERY TIME IVE GONE OUT. I MOSTLY SEE DOES BUT MY FRIEND HAS ONE ON THE WALL FROM THERE THAT IS WORTH BRAGGIN ABOUT.  THEY'RE IN THERE, YOU JUST GOTTA FIND EM!!

Offline ziggy6

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007, 04:41:40 AM »
I've hunted it a few times, as you found out the ticks far out number any other animal in those woods. If you hunt the Pine Bush I would use a repelllant and be sure to check myself and my clothes when I exit. 

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:28:37 AM »
There is an insect repellant called No Stink that really works great.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline ziggy6

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2007, 04:40:20 AM »
ADKROY,
    I had someone else also suggest that repellant. Do most local stores carry it?   

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2007, 07:21:24 AM »
I've seen it at wal-mart and at Dick's.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Mentiply

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2007, 01:22:18 PM »
My parents live adjacent to a piece of property owned by the pine bush preserve and there are some deer there. I have seen mostly doe and a small spike horn last year. I agree that the ticks have been getting worse and worse every year. When I was a kid I spent hours and hours in the woods and never even saw a tick. Now if you go into my parents backyard they swarm you.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
Thats because the mild winters don't kill them off like they used too.

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2007, 07:07:45 AM »
I took a walk there yesterday and came home with 3 ticks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal