Author Topic: Antler drops?  (Read 2399 times)

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
Antler drops?
« on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
Still checking the cameras and I think I have seen a few younger bucks with no antlers right after Christmas , and then 2-3 weeks ago saw some other bucks which clearly still had their antlers.

When do they typically fall off? I have been reading it’s mostly based on testosterone levels, and can vary widely as to when an individual loses their rack?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Antler drops?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »
No real time table, I’ve helped drag bucks that the antlers fall off when we drag in early December and I’ve had them feeding in my yard valentines week with racks still.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:46:40 PM »
Cool thanks for the reply. I know it sounds dumb, but in years past we always picked up our cameras once the season ended. It’s only been a short while, but we have been learning quite a bit about the woods we are in by going back and checking for sheds. Hey

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:01:01 AM »
It all helps piece the puzzle, the older I get the more I find myself hiking through the deer woods scouting, grabbing drops, taking mental notes and soaking it all in vs. ice fishing in free time. I can’t get enough.

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:08:01 PM »
Yup, 5 years ago I wouldn’t trade a day of fishing for 5 days of hunting. Now I’m starting to come around. Especially when I can do some scouting and stream fishing at the same time!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2020, 09:22:35 PM »
Still no sheds found yet this year.
Last night in the backyard, saw what appeared to be a forkhorn still with antlers on.
Weird year for sure.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »
Still no sheds found yet this year.
Last night in the backyard, saw what appeared to be a forkhorn still with antlers on.
Weird year for sure.

Same, weird for sure

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2020, 02:05:42 AM »
Just got back last week from moving my daughter to Virginia. Coming thru NY state on I-84 I saw a fresh road killed spike horn. Thought it was weird that he still had his little headgear.
It all helps piece the puzzle, the older I get the more I find myself hiking through the deer woods scouting, grabbing drops, taking mental notes and soaking it all in vs. ice fishing in free time. I can’t get enough.
I'm the same way AA. In my twenties and early thirties, it was all about the ice fishing. Over the last 10 years its been about the woods and I love it.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2020, 05:41:40 AM »
Still a lot of snow in my woods....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2020, 04:55:17 PM »
Still a lot of snow in my woods....

Prob only 10” in my woods

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »
SO question for you shed hunting pro's. I know hot spots are river crossings, fence crossing, rock walls. What if that is not around? Where would you start looking? Main trails with a GPS in hand and just going for it until your time is up? I do have rock walls in my area but many of the spots that deer cross are around them are the rocks have fallen and wouldnt require much of a jump. ID love to shed hunt but I have no idea where to start on the public land that I hunt.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2020, 06:40:03 AM »
Foraging and bedding areas. Check the rub lines. I'll be headed out in an hour myself.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2020, 06:42:04 AM by The 3Ps »
patience, persistence, presentation

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal