Author Topic: Snow  (Read 3641 times)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Snow
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
Wait em out! Keep plugging!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
Went for a long walk with my dad in the woods today. Grabbed a few cameras as well as tracked 3 does for a good ways, and got within shooting distance.

Found sign in the areas like AA mentioned. They seemed to make runs from the softwoods to big oaks and then rutted around heavily under them, and then back into the cover from snow.

I really really enjoyed going out with my father today even if we didn’t get to shoot.

We will be back at it in the morning. Good luck to everyone else heading out!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
Glad your not taking it for granted! Every minute with them is a blessing the older we get!

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »
Glad your not taking it for granted! Every minute with them is a blessing the older we get!

For sure! He/we made a remark after about an hour of plowing through the snow how much fun it was even if we didn’t see anything.

These last two years with the snow late in the season have been a lot of fun, and I’m lucky enough to be able to do it in great company.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:50:21 PM »
Good deal!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
Snow was brutal hunting today. In my area its 12-14" with a crust that you break through every step. Sucks.
Tried to stay in the stand most of the day, but even getting all the way in to it and out beat me up, especially with all the layers and gear on.
1 tag left and one one more week with the bow, might just switch over to ice fishing season at this point. Unless the rain knocks the snow down and softens it up.
Good luck to all in the last week of the season!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
No bow hunting for me and 3 tags unfilled not for a lack of trying though. I have put on many miles this week and yes the snow is brutal. Funny you should mention ice fishing... So cold this morning, 2 degrees at my house when I left to go sit for the day, I chose to wear my insulated 1 piece ice fishing suit and pack boots! I knew I bought the camo one for a reason.... That was a first for me to feel the need to wear it hunting, but Damn glad I did!

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2019, 07:23:09 PM »
Yeah the snow is deep down where I am at too. We did several miles again today, and I’m spent.

It looks to me like the temps and rain the next two days are going to get rid of all the snow, but time will tell. I might dust off the bow and see if I feel comfortable with it, and sit next weekend.

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
Wish I could just give a tag to AA.... Need some venison in the freezer and I know he would fill it in a day or 2!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
Ha! I wish you could too! It’d be fun!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2019, 08:44:52 PM »
There should an alternate shooter option like in moose. Okl, I know. I should not need someone else to fill my tags, but at least for medical circumstances and other extremes. If someone can legally buy a tag then they should be given a chance to fill it just for the meat. If I couldn't hunt it would mean that I was not physically able of going out into the woods. Probably means that I am not able to work either. Which in turn probably means that 50 lbs of free meat would really help out. Even if it was just too old to go out, (95?) I would still like to have the taste of venison each year because I had eaten it my whole life.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:06:33 AM »
I just gave one of my deer to a local guy last week who is not in good health and can no longer hunt. He was so thankful, I was glad to help

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »
I just gave one of my deer to a local guy last week who is not in good health and can no longer hunt. He was so thankful, I was glad to help

Good on you! I’m sure he really appreciates the generosity/compassion.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »
Good on you! I’m sure he really appreciates the generosity/compassion.

Another Dover boy, battling Stomach cancer, almost strictly on a venison diet, high protein low fat keeps his energy up I guess. Gotta take care of our own. I have 14 grocery bags, it’s the least I can do. Another is for a young girl ironically allergic to about everything but Venison. I enjoy the fact that it is enjoyed by others as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal