Author Topic: earn a buck  (Read 6330 times)

Offline redneck

• Nubbie
earn a buck
« on: Aug 25, 2004, 10:20:33 AM »
I would just like to see how everyone feels about this earn a buck hunting we have to do this year? The first and last time we had it I hated it  that year but the next it was great I saw more mature bucks.
Redneck

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
Re: earn a buck
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2004, 07:59:49 AM »
On the outside it sounds like to me a state sponsored QDM program. I am from NY but from the details you have here, I wish it would be implimented in NY.

Jon

Offline HIMO

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2004, 01:55:47 PM »
buckshot. here in Wisconsin it is a way for the DNR to get hunters to shoot antlerless deer. shot a doe, than you can shoot a buck.

HIMO

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2004, 09:57:26 PM »
The WDNR is just forcing us to do something we should have been doing in the first place.  If everybody would just target more does, problem solved.  I can't tell you how many guys I know that refuse to shoot a doe, but are more than happy to shoot a 4" spike.  To give you an example:  The first year of the 4 day "preaseason" one guy I know put a human dummy in his front yard.  The dummy was laying face down with arrows sticking out of it's back and a sign reading "DOE HUNTER" over it.  This is an extreme example, but gives you an idea of the basic attitude in my area.  Bugs the bleep outta me.  I've tried a ton of recipes, and horns just don't taste good no matter how you make them.  In my opinion, once you've shot 5 forks/spikes, you shouldn't be shooting any more.  Buy your bonus tag, nail a nice fat tasty doe and leave those smaller bucks for the kids (or for next year).  With the bonus tag you're still able to go out and hunt for a trophy (whatever that is in your mind).  Too many people have the attitude that "if I didn't shoot him, somebody else would have".  Who cares?  Stop being a greedy jackass.  If you shoot that little buck, he's definately dead.  If you let him walk, he might survive or he might be shot by some 12 year old first timer that will treasure that little rack for the rest of his life.  What are you gonna do with it besides cut it off and throw it in the corner of the garage.  I've lost a few friends over this topic, so I don't talk about it with anyone anymore.   Now I just try to embarass guys.  Too bad you can't shoot a nice buck buddy.  Maybe when you get to be a big boy you'll shoot something with 6 points.  And no, I've never shot a "big" buck in my life, but I sure shoot does any chance I get.  Eeeerrrrhhhh!  Now I'm getting worked up all over again.  Sorry to vent, but I hold this in a little too much for my health.

I do have one big problem with the earn-a-buck idea.  I know, beyond any doubt that bucks are being left to rot in the woods.  It's either that, or face a heafty fine for shooting a buck out of season.  If the horns are small, they're very hard to spot.  Especially if there's a bit of brush or a bit of distance between you and the target.  That really bothers me.  If it's my shot, I'm taking the deer home.  I'll take the chance of a big fine for violating the deer so that it doesn't go to waste, but most guys won't, and I can't blame them.  I was thinking that maybe the law could be written so that if you don't earn the buck this year, you can still legally register it, but you can't shoot any bucks next year.  But, thinking about it, I know there are many guys that will leave a deer rot in the woods rather than give up there chance to shoot another fork next year. 

Sorry to ramble guys, but I'm a little grouchy today, and this is one of my biggest peeves and I can see it starting all over again this year.  This whole thing should be in the GOM, but this applies specifically to WI, so I posted here.  God bless, and good luck this season.

kero

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2004, 04:27:07 AM »
Personally, I've never understood trophy hunting and this is what we're talking about....trophy hunting and egos.

I'm a meat hunter....I hunt for meat plain and simple. If there's 2 deer...a buck and a doe... standing in range the buck will walk away. In general, the doe will be better table fare. Testosterone (my own) has nothing to do with my decision. Chops and steaks  are what I'm after.

I've had some monsters under my stands over the years...but it's always been the exception. I remember the first. He was so awesome looking I let him walk and took one of the does he was with. I saw him for 3 more years....mostly while scouting . That's 3 more generations of his progeny. Then he was just gone. I heard no tall tales from the locals so his fate is unknown. I'm sure I've seen his offspring and put some in the freezer as well.

Mature does breed with mature bucks. These are the top of the gene pool. I say let them do their job.

NY has no lack of quality breeding population.  We have a burgeoning deer herd. My choice would be to return to a split buck/doe season. As with any plan there would be problems. Everyone wants the season their own way based on their circumstances. 

In the end only you can decide when to take the shot and when to let it walk. It's not really that tough a decision.

RG

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2004, 03:21:19 PM »
"Earn a buck" is very similiar if not the same concept of QDM.

QDM has nothing to do with egos. It has everything to do about conservation. It has everything to do with balancing the doe to buck ratio. We have a moderate to severe problem with the doe to buck ratio in NY. Some places are 8:1. Under ideal conservation it would be 1:1. But if it were even 2:1 or 3:1 we would be much better off.

The best solution at this point is to let younger smaller bucks 1 1/2 years old to walk while at the same time culling more Doe

QDM = Quality Deer Management, look it up.

Jon

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2006, 08:58:50 AM »
why does it matter what the doe to buck ratio is if your a meat hunter, 100 deer is a 100 deer, never been able to eat the antlers, most QDM programs are targeting the pleasure of "trophy hunters" who gets to make the decision what "quality" is in QDM? i have no problem with trophy hunting, and i dont think you should shoot babies but alot of hunters say they practice QDM but all they care about is the "Q"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal