Author Topic: Tracking on posted land  (Read 10630 times)

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
Re: Tracking on posted land
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:15:07 AM »
I just don't understand the logic, sorry. You'd pay the fine and get no deer.

Peddler
We will agree to Disagree then . To me leaving a deer to Rot is far worse than trespassing , it's lazy and repugnant .
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #46 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »
i like alot of the guys here so im not gonna get in a pissin match in this thread but im willing to bet that at the core of 95% of men who hunt or were brought up in a hunting family there was activity that would be deemed criminal even if it was only once. that often times is what makes ppl wana do thing the right way. for me its driving deer. i used to pile up likecord wood when i was a kid. all got tagged but illegal non the less. i got pinched when i was 14 brought home to thanks giving dinner in cuffs.

since then, ive hunted soley alone or with my father and i dipise driving deer. it aint fair to them, like baiting.  that was a turning point in my hunting career to do things on the up and up and i have ever since. but, if a situation come up where i hadto recover a deer a few hundred feet over and imaginaryline drawn through the trees, im goin. and ive been told by local wardens, they have bigger fish to fry and to take care of things 'as i feel nesseccary' which is saying without saying do it and keep it quiet.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
We will agree to Disagree then . To me leaving a deer to Rot is far worse than trespassing , it's lazy and repugnant .

No Mook it's ignorant and illegal.

Skip
Peddler

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »
No Mook it's ignorant and illegal.

Skip
The only thing I see as Ignorant , is a land owner refusing access to a kill .
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #49 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:30:58 AM »
I think this thread has slipped off the rails.  I think (and hope) we can all agree that leaving a wounded deer in the woods is the last choice - Where there seems to be a difference of opinion is the process of recovering a deer on posted property.  Let's dial back the rhetoric and personal attacks a bit and discuss the issue as adults. 
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #50 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:41:05 AM »
not that ide ever post my land but i think i would be more upset finding a dead deer someone didnt recover. the guy out back of my ol mans land found a dead skipper years back on his land and posted it for that reason. obviously he didnt know the circumstances of why it wasnt found but he posted his land non the less due to it.

Offline jimmyrig

• Spiked
« Reply #51 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »

Didnt mean to start a pissin match..... only was hopin to recieve some honest opinions and maybe a story or two would come out of it..... like i said, had i contacted the wardens in this situation, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the liberal do- gooders in this community would have the large trucks with the satellite dishes over there tellin a one sided story which would hurt all of us hunters......I took the tracking job as far as I felt comfortable, and unfortunately, have to live with the lost deer....there was not a way to get to the other side of the field without making a bad situation worse.....

Offline Oldwillys

• Spiked
  • Old willies never die!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 24, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Very interesting post,but got off track here and there.As usual when an opinion is asked,not all opinions are what one wants to here.Let me say this to the original poster,let's suppose you could have sneaked onto the antis posted land and gotten to the deer,what then?im pretty sure dragging a deer across open land unnoticed would be a difficult feat.If you tossed the thought around in your head that asking the land owner would get you nowhere,then you must know that getting caught was really going to stir it up.Contacting the law doesn't mean you can get your deer,I promise you ,the landowners rights trump yours everytime.Im just giving you some old timer advice,no good ethical hunter likes to loose game,but at times it happens,in rare times it is at no fault of our own.Do yourself a favor,always put yourself in the best position to shoot,kill and recover,when you do this,the odds will  more likely than not be in your favor.We live in a different age now,don't give the enemy ammo,if you do what is right,and fail to succeed,don't blame yourself for things out of your control,blame yourself for what you might have done wrong and correct them.Just my humble opinion,not worth much!

Offline adkbrookie

• Forked
« Reply #53 on: Feb 24, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
Just because something is/was legal does not mean it is ethical. Example: Slavery

The converse is certainly true in some but not all instances. Example: I believe a bit ago Drobs father recovered a deer on someone's private land that he might not have had specific permission to be on and used a rock to finish the deer off (not a legal implement). Ethical yes, completely legal - probably not.

For me, ethical trumps legal. Nice to see there are a few similarly minded individuals out there. Props to jimmyrig 8).

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #54 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:04:52 PM »
The converse is certainly true in some but not all instances. Example: I believe a bit ago Drobs father recovered a deer on someone's private land that he might not have had specific permission to be on and used a rock to finish the deer off (not a legal implement). Ethical yes, completely legal - probably not.
This has been an interesting thread with some off topic situations that included me(I like that). ;D ;D He did have permission that why he was unarmed. The landowner ask him to leave his firearm in the truck. Not sure what his reasoning was and the landowner is a hunter himself(Not an anti). So my father used what he had to dispatch the wounded deer. As far as the legalities on the rock cant say either way. ;)

Offline jimmyrig

• Spiked
« Reply #55 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
i like alot of the guys here so im not gonna get in a pissin match in this thread but im willing to bet that at the core of 95% of men who hunt or were brought up in a hunting family there was activity that would be deemed criminal even if it was only once. that often times is what makes ppl wana do thing the right way. for me its driving deer. i used to pile up likecord wood when i was a kid. all got tagged but illegal non the less. i got pinched when i was 14 brought home to thanks giving dinner in cuffs.

since then, ive hunted soley alone or with my father and i dipise driving deer. it aint fair to them, like baiting.  that was a turning point in my hunting career to do things on the up and up and i have ever since. but, if a situation come up where i hadto recover a deer a few hundred feet over and imaginaryline drawn through the trees, im goin. and ive been told by local wardens, they have bigger fish to fry and to take care of things 'as i feel nesseccary' which is saying without saying do it and keep it quiet.

I also feel that driving deer is not hunting..... a local group cleans out all the deer in my best spots every year....and they shoot everything, even themselves on occasion....I gotta get em bow season or they will be cleaned out by the drop and roll crew.... You may even know who I am talking about Tallywackah.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal