Author Topic: What are some banded waterfowl that you have got..  (Read 3728 times)

Offline pintowagon

• Spiked
What are some banded waterfowl that you have got..
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 10:57:39 PM »
What are some of the diffrent banded waterfowl that everyone has got. I have gotten banded, Ross goose, Hen wood duck,teal and a toe banded drake mallard.

Offline SDpheasant

• Forked
Re: What are some banded waterfowl that you have got..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2005, 08:09:43 AM »
j/w what does it mean if they are banded? does the government capture them and put these on??????? ;D

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2005, 08:53:53 AM »
j/w what does it mean if they are banded? does the government capture them and put these on??????? ;D

Yes, they are netted or trapped and bands are applied around the leg (and in some cases with geese, large neck bands) with a number stamped on it. This number is carrying all the info that could be recorded including sex, date of banding, location of banding,estimated age and so on. When you shoot a banded bird you call a number and inform them of the band # and you eventually get a certificate in the mail with all that information. It's pretty neat. A banded duck to a duck hunter  is the drop tined ten pointer a deer hunter dreams about. Here's a goose I shot two weeks ago as an example. I  have also shot a banded drake Mallard.

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2006, 10:56:09 AM by Pikeguy »
Adam

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2005, 09:15:29 AM »
A banded duck to a duck hunter  is the drop tined ten pointer a deer hunter dreams about. Here's a goose I shot two weeks ago as an example. I  have also shot a banded drake Mallard.

I guess I don't get the significance of it. If you had shot the goose in front or behind that one you never would have known it was there. How does that compare with a ten-pointer?
Just wondering... It's not like you can use binoculars and pick out the banded birds.
It is 100% luck.
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2005, 09:19:25 AM »
Yeah, it's not exactly the same. It's just that it's pretty rare and is considered a trophy by any serious waterfowler. I'm not implying the skill, patience, knowledge and dedication it should take to kill a mature deer, just that it's "our" trophy.
Adam

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
  • LIVE LIFE, HUNT, BE SAFE, AND HAVE FUN
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2005, 07:36:53 PM »
Actually on some of the birds you can see the bands especially the neck bands but most of the time it is just luck.

Offline pintowagon

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2005, 08:24:17 PM »
Yep" Thats true tj My friend went to Canada a few years ago and the geese were flying into a very strong wind, and snow storm. They were on a hill and the geese were coming off a lake and had to fly over the hill to go feed. He said the geese were like standing still. He said that if he shot like crazy he would have had his limit. So he started to look for bands on there legs and necks....This is a true story...

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
  • LIVE LIFE, HUNT, BE SAFE, AND HAVE FUN
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:35:41 PM »
Here is a drake wood duck that I got that was banded. It ended up being one year old and got banded in Mississippi it is the top duck in the first picture.

Offline Fish-Trap

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2005, 11:04:20 PM »
I have only killed one banded bird. A goose I shot on the 4th of sept this yr. Sill waiting the info on it.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal