Author Topic: shot size?  (Read 3836 times)

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
shot size?
« on: Aug 15, 2005, 07:57:12 PM »
What size shot are you guys using for ducks and geese? I have never hunted for either. My father inlaw said he had better luck shooting geese with smaller shot (up to #6). I bought a box of #3, but I could buy some  more boxs of different shot too.

Offline Fish-Trap

• Spiked
Re: shot size?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2005, 08:56:33 PM »
 It depends on what you are taking your shots at. Decoying birds or pass shooting? For geese, I never use the smaller loads. I shoot 3.5 BB or BBB or T shot. In a pinch I'll shot 3.5 #2's. As for ducks, I've only hunted them this past season and I used #4's for decoying birds. (25-30 yard range)with alright results. I plan to chase the ducks harder this yr. I hope this might help

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
  • LIVE LIFE, HUNT, BE SAFE, AND HAVE FUN
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2005, 10:17:53 PM »
I use a small shot on early season ducks just because they will come closer and have less fat on them otherwise for geese and late season ducks i will normally shot #2 shot or if the geese will not come in go with a T shot

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2005, 08:08:07 AM »
I usually use #4 for early season ducks over decoys.  Most of the ducks around at that time are teal or woodies which are small so #4 is fine.  Later in the season I'll switch to #2 for the bigger mallards and pintails.  I've never specifically targeted geese, only taken a few incidentally while duck hunting, but I usually have a few BB in my pocket in case the geese start out numbering the ducks.  I always hunt over decoys and only shoot 2 3/4".
Their comin' right for us!

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2005, 12:22:21 PM »
#3's are a decent load for mallards and some woodies, but they can really screw up the teal. I used #3's all last year and don't recall any cripples on ethical shots. Depending on your skills as a shooter, #4's are usually a pretty good bet for decoying birds. Something else to consider is the velocity, but it's really hard to recommend anything without knowing what type of shooting you'll have.
Adam

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2005, 04:56:46 PM »
I don't have any decoys and neither does my father inlaw, I think he just hunts fields where they are feeding in the early morning and waits for them to fly in, so it would be pass shooting. I have a 3" pump shotgun with removeable choke tubes. I think the idea on the smaller shot size was that the pellets will penatrate the bird in the head.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2005, 07:46:36 AM »
When shooting a medium to high velocity shell in mid-range situations alot of times you will get very good penetration with a smaller shot size. It doesn't need to hit the duck in the head neccessarily, solid wing shots and anything that penetrates into the vital organs will bring a bird down fairly quick.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2005, 09:04:08 AM by Pikeguy »
Adam

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2005, 06:53:48 PM »
I use 2's for ducks and bb's or bigger for geese

Offline pintowagon

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2005, 10:49:34 PM »
I use 3 or 4 for duck, and BB for geese when hunting them..Or if geese fly over the duck decoys. I use what  ever is in the gun..

Offline TroutKing

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:02:30 AM »
I usually use #3 Federal High Velocity (1550 fps) magnums for ducks, when I'm using steel. I use #4 HEVI shot also, but it is so expensive. I am thinking of trying the Kent Tungsten-Matrix next fall.

TK

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:07:04 AM »
I use kent Fasteel in # 3 and 4 for ducks and 3 1/2" BB for Geese out west. Fasteel is about the highest velocity out there. I shot some HeviShot last year for geese. It was great but at about $2 a shot it's just not worth it for me. I get plenty of power out of the steel and usually out shoot the 3 guys with 10 gauges with my 12ga.
Adam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal