Author Topic: What do you say into your call?  (Read 2733 times)

Offline duck

• Forked
What do you say into your call?
« on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »
Ive been watching alot of youtube videos on calling and Ive heard a few different times to say "quick" or "hoot" when trying to make a quack sound.  Ive also heard that saying "kitty kitty kitty" is good for the feeding call.

What do you guys say into your call or do you just blow away?
"A mans gotta believe, I believe I'll go hunting!"

halfrack33

Re: What do you say into your call?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »
you need good breath support for the calling. Supposedly your supposed to tongue each quack like saying "ten" but i grew up playing instruments and find it sounds better to just use good breath support without tonging and using your lungs. As far as the feeding goes, i double tongue in series of two saying: "ti-ca, ti,ca". look up how to double tongue a saxaphone on youtube or something and that's the best way to do it. You don't need to do it (feeding call) fast like competition calling, ducks never really go that fast. I always stick to between 4 and 7 quacks at the most. Do like a faster greeting call when they're a ways away coming towards you. If they keep coming, dont call and just do the feeding call a little. If they cirlce, let them do one full circle and when their butts are facing you blow 5 excited quacks with the first one held out longer. as they circle more keep doing the feeding call. As they do a second circle, make the calls even more excited and faster calling to their butts again. If they're on the water a little ways outside your set try mixing a single "quack" with the feeding call.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
feeding calls i start out "tick tick tick, ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka, tick tick tick", speeding up in the middle and slowing at the end.  Its hard to explain what you say into a call, without acutally letting you listen to me blowing into the call without guts.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »
I use a very simple approach to calling ducks.  Keep it very simple.  I almost never call to ducks when they are coming toward me for 2 reasons.  #1 they are flying in the right direction  ;D and #2 they can pick you out easier.  Let them fly by you then get on 'em.  Don't start out to aggressive...see how they react.  If they don't respond hit 'em harder and louder until you get them turned.  Once they are turned hit 'em again only a little softer.  If they circle again get em again when they are directly over you and plead with them by longer drawn out greeting calls.
If you are going to try and work them with any type of feed calls do some feed chuckles.  "tuk, tuk, tuk, tuk, tuk"  save yourself on the feeding call "ticka, ticka, ticka"  these calls are never made by ducks on the water or in a field.  When you here the "ticka, ticka, ticka" feed call it is coming from ducks in the air....NOT THE WATER!  The only time I will use the feed call "ticka" is when I have more than 1 flock of ducks working you can sometimes fool the birds up top that the birds below are feed calling.  DO NOT OVERCALL!!!  Biggest mistake often made by lesser experienced callers.  Learn to read the birds and exactly how they react to your calling.  Chances are if the first 2 flocks didn't respond to what you were laying down the rest of the birds you will see won't respond any better.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal