Author Topic: duck/ goose spreads?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline brokenline

• Spiked
duck/ goose spreads?
« on: Sep 27, 2009, 07:33:45 PM »
what would be the optimum spread for, 24 maby 30 goose decoys, 2 dozen ducks, and 2 reel wings?

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Re: duck/ goose spreads?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
We tried leavin a little space and doing a U or V shaped pattern with the geese but they didnt seem to like the opening we made for them to land....we did have some success with an X shaped spread, never know what they are gonna want.....duck im a noobie so i cant help ya there.

halfrack33

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:24:15 PM »
depends on the wind patterns. Always use a J pattern and leave a slot open where you want them to land. Face the decoys into the wind if you can or the ducks might now something is up. They normally face into the wind in case anything happens so they can get the wind under their wings to get up quick. I only do duck spreads under 20 deeks, but google and you will find some good advice. I personally wouldn't go with an X pattern because it doesn't give them one defined spot where you want them to land in to shoot. Some people use it but i don't like it. You can also use a c pattern which works alright but usually that takes more decoys that i use to get them to land right in the middle. The goal is just basiaclly to manipulate where they land but im sure i don't have to tell you that. And with my mojo, i put it closest to shore for a couple reasons, one being that i can put the post in deeper water. Hope this helps

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »
we usually hunt a u shape spread.....  With the two long ends of the u going out... Kind of a boomerang type layout.....  Put the blinds at the bend in the u and stack em up.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
All depends on the wind and the location. On rivers we put a long string coming into a J hook to get the birds attention and to bring them on in. Put your reel wings on the edge of the hole you want the birds to land in, FACING THE HOLE.

For marsh hunting you want the decoys in two groups, a small group down wind and a big group up wind with a hole in front of the blind. Put your reel wings in the small group facing the big group.

Remember that ducks have to land into the wind so adjust your decoys accordingly.

I have included a picture of how we put the spread  when river hunting and one marsh spread.

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2009, 08:35:04 AM »
I use the j pattern a lot and it seems to work well,  and the way bbk posted also, except i don't have a mojo, and another one that i found workes late in t he season for some reson is a double O pattern...2 large groups of decoys each with an open space within them and an open space in the center with one or 2 decoys  ...one thing that i found makes a real difference is make sure you you tie off some of your dekes on the front and some on the back, that way they are facing different directions, some guys tie them all off on teh front and when the wind comes up they all face the same way, reason you don't want that is if you've ever seen ducks in the water that are spooked they all start swimming in the same direction before they take off
It flies it dies

Offline nyspike

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2009, 11:09:58 AM »
  ...one thing that i found makes a real difference is make sure you you tie off some of your dekes on the front and some on the back, that way they are facing different directions, some guys tie them all off on teh front and when the wind comes up they all face the same way, reason you don't want that is if you've ever seen ducks in the water that are spooked they all start swimming in the same direction before they take off
exactly what I was gonna post, make sure they are facing different directions, with geese too.
nypike on IS and MFF

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal