Author Topic: What are you blowin'?  (Read 3730 times)

halfrack33

What are you blowin'?
« on: Sep 12, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »
...call wise that is  ;D Just got my new "Classic Commander" duck commander call in the mail today. First blow, hated it. But the more and more i play with it i like it. Its a double reed so is kinda an amateur call but it's not too bad. You have to have some serious breath support and blow like crazy to get a good sound, not quite raspy enough for me. I was blowing a double nasty II last few years which wasn't too bad. I got it when i started calling because it was easy to use but i loved how it sounded. The durability and quality was poor though and it broke beginning of last year. That same week i found an old wooden call that i think was a haydel's that sounded even better. I think a single reed and it was sooo versatile i couldn't have asked for anything better. Got it wet once and hasn't been worth a dam since. I don't call geese much but have a Big River goose flute which i really like. My guide at goosehaven in the finger lakes has the same one so i figured i couldn't go wrong. What does everyone else use? I'm looking for a decent woodie call and a good single reed mallard call if anyone has any input

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
Re: What are you blowin'?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
I dont call ducks, just geese.

I use a Zink Power Maximus and love it.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
duck calling- zink ph2 or the carbon quacker

goose calling- zink power maximus and cole foiles carnnage collector

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
you guys got the 130$ power maximus or the 30$ one? 130$ is a little too much to spend on a call in my book

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
PM-1 got it for like 79.99 on sale at cabelas.

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
I've got an old Lohman duck call that's my favorite, my dad gave it to me about 40 years ago and it still sounds better than anything I have seen since. I've got a couple old Faulk's goose calls and one old honker call that's about a foot and a half long. It was my grandads and the name (if there ever was one as it's got to be at least 75 years old)  wore off of it a long time ago. I bought a Knight & Hale cheapy for $15 and it don't sound to bad. My grandad always said an expensive call don't make a good caller, experience makes a good caller ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 04:36:52 PM by Madpuppy »
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Swampbuckster

• Forked
  • I'm out of here, to the great outdoors.
    • Lower Michigan Hunting & Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »
Foiles Timber Rattler and a Primos PHAT Lady. 
Say Fred, you go up that ridge......and I'll go down in the swamp.....we'll get that buck. -The Nuge

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »
My grandad always said an expensive call don't make a good caller, experience makes a good caller ;D

Exactly! It doesnt matter if your call costs 200$ or 10...if you don't know how to use it it aint worth the hot air you blow into it lol  Ive got a buck gardner woodduck whistle, and a wooden double reed i ordered from cabelas a few years ago, can't remember the brand now but it cost around 50$ range, and it does  sound nice, and ive blown some others but my favorit call ive got or used to this day is a cheap knight n hale single reed i got form wally world about 8 years ago, its what i learned to call ducks on from hail calls to feed chuckles i learned it all on that call on my own...so I know it very well and its still and probably will always be my main call
It flies it dies

Offline ALASKANSS

• 6 Pointer
  • HUNTIN'MOONSHINE ISLAND
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
i call my wife to make sure supper is ready ;D

Offline Brian

• Nubbie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »
RNT Quackhead Double J.. Just got it last week.. looking forward to this weekend!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal